Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:38 AM

Default Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

Ok, now the most recent movie I've watched is The Devil Wears Prada. Didn't really want to watch it, but it wasn't bad.

Next, tomorrow hopefully, is Children of Men. Very excited about that one.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Kevin Smith: Evening Harder - I think I am becoming a bigger fan of his Q&A DVDs than I am of his actual films.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh wow. I didn't even know that there was a second one made. Is it as good as the first one?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not as good as the first, but it's still pretty good.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:46 AM

I watched Rocky III on cable the other night. No great acting, but I like the fact that Apollo and his manager have the heart to take Rocky in and help him even though he has beaten Apollo in the past. I like the shots of Apollo and Rocky in the ocean, celebrating Rocky's overcoming of his emotional fears. Mostly, I like seeing white and black people who were formerly enemies coming together to work for a common cause and becoming friends. I think this is what I like most about Rocky III. This and, of course, the scene with Hulk Hugan (Thunderlips) where he calls Rocky a meatball.

-J
Old 02-18-2007, 12:02 PM

Being There- so so good. the opinion of this dc native: spot on exposition of a dangerous destructive washington mind set. A complement to Dr. Strangelove; warm and simple vs. cruel and sinister.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:41 PM

Aw man. I almost rented this last night and instead went with Raising Arizona and The Joy Luck Club. Crap. I've always wondered if Being There was any good. It has such a weird premise.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:22 PM

Highly recommend everyone watch this.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Kevin Smith: Evening Harder - I think I am becoming a bigger fan of his Q&A DVDs than I am of his actual films.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh wow. I didn't even know that there was a second one made. Is it as good as the first one?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not as good as the first, but it's still pretty good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, although IMHO it's close.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how is match point?

[/ QUOTE ]

A funny thing I've noticed about MATCH POINT is that fans of Woody Allen tend to be lukewarm about it while those who aren't fans tend to think highly of it. I'm in the first category.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've seen pretty much everything Woody Allen has ever put on screen and I have liked them all. I actually enjoyed Match Point and thought it was easily one of the best films I saw that year.

Just rewatched Deconstructing Harry. For me, this is a funny movie. Even on a rewatch I got lots of out loud laughs.

People laugh at different things, and I'm sure there are some out there who have never found anything Woody ever did humourous, but for me he does it every time.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how is match point?

[/ QUOTE ]

A funny thing I've noticed about MATCH POINT is that fans of Woody Allen tend to be lukewarm about it while those who aren't fans tend to think highly of it. I'm in the first category.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I've seen pretty much everything Woody Allen has ever put on screen and I have liked them all. I actually enjoyed Match Point and thought it was easily one of the best films I saw that year.

Just rewatched Deconstructing Harry. For me, this is a funny movie. Even on a rewatch I got lots of out loud laughs.

People laugh at different things, and I'm sure there are some out there who have never found anything Woody ever did humourous, but for me he does it every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved Match Point and thought it was the best of the year. At that moment I hadn't seen many Woody Allen movies (I had seen Annie Hall, Small time Crooks, Mighty Aphrodite).

But between September and October I watched about 10 Woody Allen films, among them Crimes and Misdemeanors.
Crimes and Misdemeanors was similar to Match Point and I thought was better.

My favorite Woody Allen film is Deconstructing Harry, so I am glad it was mentioned in this thread.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:26 AM

Sherrybaby - Maggie Gyllenhaal is superb in her portrayal of a junkie getting out of prison and trying to win her very young daughter back. This movie was very powerful and devestating in places, my only gripe is the very small plot point trying to explain why she ended up this way and the film makers falling back on an old movie standard excuse. I understand the difficult job of getting the audience to sympathize with a lead character like this, but honestly can't somebody just suck at life? Why do they always have to have an excuse for their behavior thrown in there? Anyway, it's a good heart wrenching movie and I continue to love Maggie Gyllenhaal's work.
Closed Thread