Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Breaking the rules a tiny bit:

I just wanted to clear a few things up:
I'm taking a short break from 2+2 to work on my paper -

That's what I'm really interested in. I came to SMP looking for some rational minds to help me review for accuracy. Some of that's been done through discussion, but there are still some major ideas that I'm not too sure of (I'm not an expert in vary many fields.)

I figured there were some philosophers, scientists, and mathematicians on this site, which I have discovered do, exist (I think.) These are the kinds of perspectives I'm looking to get reviewed.

Bots, poker tournies, etc: I suppose I was looking for a friendly card game.

"My post," the one containing personal information, was a private PM to DS - but no harm done, I suppose.

As for me being DS? Well, let's just say: I'd take that as a compliment. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Allegories work great for some people (I've learned a lot, just about everything I know, this way.) In normal discussion and conversation, though, I like to keep it straightforward.
Clear communication, fewer misunderstandings, and there are little places one can find so much joy [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

There's just too much speculation and heresay in our society nowadays, that's the big problem.

love your god
love your others

I'd take a bet that jesus means love yourself, love your species. Nietzsche uses the word "man" frequently. This word, "man," is short for mankind and is not gender specific (IMHO.)

Do these two things, go with the flow, and above all else trust yourself, trust your species: well, that's about the only option we've got left.

A few days in solitude (my campus is simply beautiful) - and I'll have just about wrapped things up. I've got one worry, kind of, and that's my credibility. In society, in this constructed world, I don't really mean much. All I can do is hope the paper will be received well. I like how FM says it: I like to keep things simple and comfortable --- hah, that's kind of like the dude.

Now, let me tell ya something about The Dude... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

EDIT: Does DS ever answer your guys' PM's? He's the only one who won't answer me!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Breaking the rules a tiny bit:

Oooooone more thing that I'd like to mention:
I made a post here the other day about Nietzschian philosophy, which, sadly, was deleted immediately.

All of my posts in the past (on SMP, at least) are influenced, and sometimes directly derived from, Nietzsche. The paper I'm writing is essentially a compacted-straightforward interpretation of the philosophy (+ a few benefits I have over Nietzsche: our modern scientific discoveries, communication with zillions of people, etc.)

Thanks for listening, hope that all makes sense. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2007, 07:59 PM

just asking but you know Nietzsche went pretty insane at like age 35?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:56 PM

Sure, I'm aware of that - something like that.

You could speculate on when the actual date was, or characterize and model the "craziness" - I think both are kind of irrelevant (interesting for other reasons, though.)
Old 01-12-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and I've passed the whole sending it to individuals thing (forreview,) and I'm going to probably post a rough draft either tonight or tommorrow, depending on how it comes along -

It will also likely be torn apart much more efficiently [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] on these forums than elsewhere.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:49 PM

Aaaand I'm probably not going to stop posting, as my neurosis has passed about that subject (the paranoia, if you will.)

This is allll about global consciousness and trust (I think.)
Old 01-13-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which, coincidentally, is pretty close to the minimum age we allow people to hold public office.