Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 06:49 AM

Default Multi Tabling

Not a noob by any means but since Im ready to take on more tables I put my question here since iam new to it. I normally play 2,3 and sometimes 4 tables (short handed). I can still play my normal style of semi loose aggressive and keep an eye on the action and players habits. However, I dropped down a level to play more tables and changed my stayle to TAG. Iam playing 6 tables (short handed)and Iam getting crushed. I play Tag and position unless of course I have a doozy in earlier positions. How do those players who MT adapt and what techniques do you follow. Is there a rule of thumb here? Also..Iam interested in hearing whether or not thisa better BR builder then just playin a couple of tables. I have 3000 to play with and Im playing 25-50 cent tables. Do I have the roll for it? and if Iam slightly above average player what should I expect to make say per month adding in varriance? Lots of questions here..I appreciate any feed back.

Peace and GL
Old 08-23-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Multi Tabling

1) If you haven't already, purchase Pokertracker and PA HUD. These are a must if you are multi-tabling.

2) I'd start with this post:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...t=1#Post7827947

It has helped my 6-max game immensely.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have 3000 to play with and Im playing 25-50 cent tables. Do I have the roll for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
and if Iam slightly above average player what should I expect to make say per month adding in varriance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you're losing at the current limit, no bankroll amount will be safe - it's just a question of how long it will take to bleed it away.

If you were a "slighly above average player", you're most likely to be breaking even or losing slightly (due to the rake). If you are able to improve to any kind of positive winrate beyong that, even 1bb/100, 3k is more than enough for .25/.50.

A decent player should be able to clear 5bb/100 or more at those limits over the long-term, so you should have a reasonable shot at 3bb/100 in time.

Read up on bankroll management. How much can you make depends on your winrate and volume of hands played, and I don't know how much you play. There are other factors like the standard deviation of your game and so on.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:58 AM

It looks like you play NL from your posts in the NL strategy forums. This wasn't clear from your post here, and I think Gonso's response assumed that you were playing limit.

If multitabling does not affect your win rate or standard deviation, then it doesn't affect your bankroll requirements. You get the same swings faster.

In any form of poker, you can use

bankroll = comfort * standard deviation ^2 / win rate

or

comfort = bankroll * win rate / standard deviation^2.

The comfort level you require depends on your personal risk tolerance and your ability/willingness to move down if you hit a bad streak. Most people are happy with a comfort level between 2 and 4.

If your win rate stays negative, you won't be safe with any amount. You need to have some padding to learn to beat the game, but how long that will take depends on you. No one can anser that for you. If you become a solid winner, winning 16 big blinds/100, and have a standard deviation of 80 big blinds/100, then you should be comfortable with c*400 big blinds, or $600 if you choose c=3. However, if your win rate is smaller by a factor of 2, then you need twice as much money to be as safe.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:41 AM

Poker software is a must for multi-tabling as you can't pay enough attention to any one table. I prefer Pokeroffice as it's user friendly, but many prefer Pokertrakker. Go to pokeroffice.com and you can get the software free by signing up at certain sites.
If you're playing a bit tighter, concentrate on 10 seaters rather than playing short handed, where the decisions are harder and the game is more aggressive. Also, you get more time to make decisions as there are less players to act. You won't get blinded away so fast either. Use the preselect autofold button for junk, but only that one. The other preselects, such as check/fold and raise any give away information to your opponents.
As far as bankroll is concerned, I've played from 10c/25cNL up to currently $1/2 (close to $2/4 now) by playing with at least 25 buy-ins. (4 tables)
At 50 buy-ins, move up a level, and if you drop to 20 at the new level, drop back to the previous level until you make your money back.
That cushions your losses if you hit a bad streak.If you have 3000, you have enough to play at one level higher than at present, but wouldn't recommend that until you are beating the current level consistently. Finally, stick to 2 tables until you are consistently winning before trying more.