Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 03:03 AM

Default Re: How difficult is it to become a good limit player?

[ QUOTE ]
note before post: all comments regarding toughness of limits is w/ respect to Stars games, all shorthanded

[...]

IMO after this is when it gets tough. 50/100 has beatable games, but the play becomes MUCH more agressive (especially 100/200 +) and hand reading becomes tougher. I still think with good game selection 50/100 is beatable by a good solid agressive player, but the winrate will be small, and getting to the point where u can beat it easily will take hard work.

I dont have a lot of experience past 50/100, mostly because the games jsut get that much harder. The variance is wild and nasty- it becomes easy to get fooled into thinking your a favorite, when your really not. The edges just get a lot smaller in general and its just hard to get comfortable to not only the tougher hand reading, constant adjustments that need to be made, but also to the big money swings. 100/200 SH can yield bad runs that amount to 60k+ especially when you first test yourself in that limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if it's bad etiquette to revive an old thread, but I looked through the high limit forum and didn't see much recent traffic that seemed very interesting to me, so I just did a "show last 6 months" instead...

Anyway, which respect to play at Stars, I started at 30-60 and have played up to 200-400. My experience is that the play is somewhat tougher at higher limits, although I don't feel it's as pronounced as you think. I think there is more variance at higher limits, so it definitely seems scarier than the 50-100.

On the other hand, I'm only one person though, and I think I've run well to be able to move up limits quickly, so maybe the level of competition goes up more than I've experienced.

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes there are just a lot of high rollers who aren't necessarily good players who just aren't interested in playing the lower limits. Or they might be good high-limit live players because they are good at picking up tells but not as great playing on-line, but they still don't want to drop down limits too much.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:47 AM

good thread... i would be interested in knowing if any of this is qunatifiable in term of number of hands played - ie. how many LHE hands have most of the strong 100/200 and 200/400 players put in lifetime to get to where they are?

Also shouldnt there be a 6 month status report available from timex around now? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2007, 05:09 PM

know your board textures

have a wide enough range
where in your opponents minds

you can reasonably connect with any board

learn to isoraise weak players in position

focus on stealing blinds and defending them well

most pots are contested HU or 3-way

the games all about pairs

be very showdown bound

figuring out the right amount of action

to put in based on your opponents tendencies

and the value of your own hand
Old 10-14-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
good thread... i would be interested in knowing if any of this is qunatifiable in term of number of hands played - ie. how many LHE hands have most of the strong 100/200 and 200/400 players put in lifetime to get to where they are?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I played about 25k hands of 30/60 and 50/100 before moving up to 100/200.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:11 AM

so basically you ran like a god so all the games seemed easy?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, it might not have been the best decision at the time but I wanted to ride my hot streak so I didn't really bother with getting a set number of hands in before moving up.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, sorry if it came across that way but I didn't intend it as a brag post or to say that the games were easy. I agree that I ran well too but I wanted to play higher limits faster so I didn't play enough hands to get to the "long run".

I actually think (contrary to most people, it seems) that there's not a HUGE disparity in skill between, say, the 50-100 and 200-400, although certainly I think 200-400 is generally tougher.

I'm guessing that a large percentage of people who moved up to 200-400 are either lucky or really aggressive in shot-taking. I'm probably a combination of both (more 1 than 2) and I don't really a have a problem in saying that, as I play for fun primarily, and the money secondary, and ego is probably like 100th on the list of why I play poker.

On the other hand, even though I think I've been lucky, I don't think I'm a total fish either, even if a couple of people never fail to give me action. Feel free to disagree. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2007, 01:39 PM

you wont hear any complaints from people whose opinions matter. the micro-donks will be the ones first in line to ream you out for "playing outside your bankroll".

but with that said, if anyone wants to make a prop bet on how long it takes for him to bust - ill set the over/under at 2 weeks.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The poker essays book is out of date, it was written at a time when 20/40 was among the bigger games available and "expert" players were significantly worse and player pools were much smaller. Expert play at 20-40 should be in the 2-3 BB/hr range, but your not going to see much of that around as most players capable will be playing the larger games.

[/ QUOTE ]

lawl.

3BB/hour is about 10BB/100.

Tables that good do not exist for any extended period of time beyond the play chip level.

[/ QUOTE ]

3BB/hr is closer to 8BB/100 than it is to 10BB/100, especially with auto card shufflers. Expert online players pull in 2-3 BB/100, and live players are granted a vast amount more information to use, enjoy a better fish/good player ratio due to a lack of multitabling, and have more time to make their decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody can sustain that kind of win rate over the long run.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:31 PM

I actually think (contrary to most people, it seems) that there's not a HUGE disparity in skill between, say, the 50-100 and 200-400, although certainly I think 200-400 is generally tougher.

When you're better than everyone else, I can see how this might seem to be the case.

- Andrew