BTN: 2,545
SB: 3,035
Hero (BB): 2,575
UTG: 2,890
UTG+1: 740
UTG+2: 6,195
MP1: 4,195
MP2: 8,000

Pre-Flop: (45) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG calls 30, UTG+1 calls 30, UTG+2 calls 30, MP1 calls 30, MP2 calls 30, CO folds, BTN calls 30, SB calls 15, Hero checks

Flop: (240) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets 120</font>, 2 folds, UTG+2 calls 120, MP1 calls 120, MP2 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to 750</font>, hero folds

The BTN had been playing very tight and hadn't showed down a hand yet. Nothing had stood out about UTG+1 up to this point and MP1 had been playing very loose and active. I saw him play a set OOP by check/calling the flop and turn against the preflop raiser and leading river with a small bet.

BTN could have 99-1010 but I'm not sure if he raises these over limpers preflop or not. I don't think he does this with a smaller pair. He could possibly have a lot of holdings with an 8 (86, 89, 810, J8) but he has been playing tight enough that I think he folds a lot of those preflop. The same goes for 79, 76, 710. It seems like he would have played 87, 88 slower but I didn't know enough about him.

UTG+1 and MP1 ranges are most likely small pairs, straight draws, or connectors with a 7 or 8.

I lead the flop for deception, building the pot and making draws pay. I folded because it seems like one of the players shows up with a 7 often and I can't continue in the hand to gain more information without commiting a lot of chips.

Let me know your thoughts on my play and analysis.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Trips OOP in limped pot

Just remembered, I think I should have bet more on the flop. 180-210.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:45 PM

yep bet more on flop, and shove here. I think he'll show up 99-JJ a lot here. you're right that 88 probably would've played this slower. these mid pairs are the kind of hands which he would be wanting to play for set value at this stage and not trying to inflate the pot too much pre flop when after 5 limpers he probably gets a couple of callers.

also two things regarding your read about him being tight, firstly even the tightest of players find it hard to resist 89/9Ts after a table of limpers on the button, and also it's only the 1st level so he may just be a bit card dead. there's only one other 7 in the pack which you are going broke to imo so just shove and be happy about it.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:56 PM

Your playing ina 5.50 bud your smoking there raising range with your trips. You also need to remember the average player isnt raising there slow playing trips. Even with the draw out there. In a 5.50 your playing with average to crap players 98% of the time. 88 is smooth calling there. If they got a better kicker you just hit a unlucky spot. To often in these low buyins your gonna run into too high cards, straight draw, overpairs and alot of times the button making a play with nothing at all. Your also early in the tourney so you cant really have any reads on players. Put it all in and if they have you your just in a unlucky spot.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:28 PM

Hey thanks for putting in your thoughts.

Tinty,

The BTN would have raised JJ I'm pretty sure but that's fairly unimportant. Also this was towards the end of the 2nd level, I had this guy pinned down as a truly tight player. Yea I agree he's not folding his 89s and 9Ts I was saying he's most likely folding the trashier mid connectors but maybe not. True there is only one other seven but there are two cold callers who likely could have it and a tight player raising he could likely have it.

Dant,

Unless the raiser is filled up there is a good chance he's raising with just a 7 to jam out draws since there was two cold calls.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:55 PM

The thing is that although their limping ranges coulf possibly include a 7, they include so many more hands that i reall don't think you can fold this. in the $5 tourneys i see a lot of guys calling that flop with KQ. The guy who you have as tight also could possibly have the 7 but once again there are the hands that i mentioned above which are also raising. i think the combintaion of there only being one 7 left and there being a fair few more hands they could be raising means that you are losing a lot of value here so really you should be shoving.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:26 PM

I push the flop, villain would play 88 or 87 slower and I don't think his range really includes a 7 in it. He probably has something like k8 or a8.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:06 PM

ALL THIS ACTION IS WEIRD ITS THE 3RD GUY I FEAR HERE i can't blame a fold. its a bit weak but 88 may be here too.