Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 11-28-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: weird hand

I think this is a spot where I would raise/fold to try to find out where i'm at or to at least isolate the pot. id probably make it at least $50 here and make a bet on the river that tpgk can call
Old 11-28-2007, 12:49 AM

not that either villain would notice. but doen't hero's line look like BS if we raise the turn. the only reason we wouldn't bet the flop is if we had the nut flush on the flop right? not that it really matters here.

as for how it's played. i think either raise or call is fine.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:52 AM

I think a call here is atrocious. We have no reason to think we're behind here and there are plenty of cards we want to protect against/charge to draw out against us.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if we raise and get shoved on we fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we'd have to.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not that either villain would notice. but doen't hero's line look like BS if we raise the turn. the only reason we wouldn't bet the flop is if we had the nut flush on the flop right? not that it really matters here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could have 66, 65s, or an unlikely straight, doubt I'd ever slowplay a any flush/flopped set vs. two opponents so yeah I see what you're saying.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, this is what US said... surely one line has to be optimal though? I can remember a few instances where I raised 2 pr and got shoved on by a flush in a similar board and really hated my play cause I thought I could have kept the pot smaller/drawn to 4 outs and made a better decision on the river, that pot was heads up though.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:16 AM

easy r/f imo. Raising turn looks hugely hugely like the flopped nuts and it would take massive balls to 3b a worse hand on the turn, and you can't afford to let people draw out on you for free.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I could have 66, 65s, or an unlikely straight, doubt I'd ever slowplay a any flush/flopped set vs. two opponents so yeah I see what you're saying.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, this is what US said... surely one line has to be optimal though? I can remember a few instances where I raised 2 pr and got shoved on by a flush in a similar board and really hated my play cause I thought I could have kept the pot smaller/drawn to 4 outs and made a better decision on the river, that pot was heads up though.

[/ QUOTE ]

calling is good if u think the villain will bluff the river alot assuming that u were on a draw as well. it seems from your op that u think Villain might lead alot of rivers even if he misses?

raising is better if u think he'll call with his whole range.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:33 AM

i don't think we have to protect the turn too much. Villain's can't have much more than 20% equity if we're ahead. so if they bluff the river alot more than that, then calling the turn is better...especially if they'd fold alot to our raise on the turn when behind with their draws.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:39 AM

call, bet flop
Old 11-28-2007, 01:59 AM

Read replies and here's my two cents....

Raising the turn represents the NF and the NF only it seems. Would you ever play the NF in this manner? I am not saying you would never check the flop. But if you did, why would you raise the turn? It just doesn't add up. You rate to make more money by giving them a bit of rope, not by checking a whole street of value and then raising them off their second best hand. That is just not good poker. If you did have the NF and found yourself raising this turn it is probably on a line that consisted of you betting the flop representing the NFD or something that needs protection (like TP/overpair..) and now a turn raise is in order because either your opponent is committed or your line can stay consistent with you chasing/protecting. By checking the flop your intentions are to trap the middle guy for some bets as well as the leader (if you held the NF) and make your move on the river when the pot is a nice size and your value raise can have a high expectation of getting looked up because their are 2 players in the hand AND they may feel pot committed.

As for your hand, I like a call. I understand you give them a chance to outdraw you but the pot is relatively small and having to fold to a river club wouldn't be the end of the world. You also close the betting ensuring a river card without having to face another bet. Lastly, you keep the strength of your hand well disguised in the times that the river does blank and you can then get a value bet in if checked to and comfortably call a bet if bet into because the pot is manageable.