Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 02:09 PM

Default Re: FTP $750K : M=60 : KK OOP facing turn shove rr on scary board

[ QUOTE ]
Well, if you NEVER limp with big pairs, then you shouldn't be interested in this thread so don't reply at all. If you do limp once in a while, then once in a while you'll find yourself in a position where you *thought* there would be a raise behind you, but there wasn't, and then maybe you do get interested in this thread.

It's funny how some people seem to never make mistakes and know everything, yet have a significantly lower ROI than other people that willingly admit their mistakes. I'm not specifically referring to anyone in particular here, but I'm always amused (and sometimes disgusted) by that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mostly agree with this, but I also don't understand the people who think the hand isn't worth discussing because you wouldn't be in this situation if you weren't stupid enough to limp a big pair. I mean the situation on the turn is still interesting even if you may have made a huge error preflop.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:26 PM

If I have a read on the opponent I'm sometimes willing to go broke or double through in a limped pot, so sometimes, sure. But if I'm in the dark (which is where I usually am if I limp, expecting a raise, and then a bunch of people see the flop for cheap), then I highly prefer playing cautiously. BTW, why bring "cash game standards" into this?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, if you NEVER limp with big pairs, then you shouldn't be interested in this thread so don't reply at all. If you do limp once in a while, then once in a while you'll find yourself in a position where you *thought* there would be a raise behind you, but there wasn't, and then maybe you do get interested in this thread.

It's funny how some people seem to never make mistakes and know everything, yet have a significantly lower ROI than other people that willingly admit their mistakes. I'm not specifically referring to anyone in particular here, but I'm always amused (and sometimes disgusted) by that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mostly agree with this, but I also don't understand the people who think the hand isn't worth discussing because you wouldn't be in this situation if you weren't stupid enough to limp a big pair. I mean the situation on the turn is still interesting even if you may have made a huge error preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I enjoyed going through all of the HoH hands and analyzing them throughout that series, and there are PLENTY of times that Harrington say stuff like "You actually call for $300..." (even though he prefers a fold or raise), because you are analyzing actual hands where errors were made. Part of the idea is that even the best pros make mistakes now and then, so YOU will too, but to play your best, you should still realize when you made a mistake and then do your best to play optimal from that point on.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The rule with AA is that "if you limp with aces, you never go broke with aces". Obviously there are exceptions, but that's the rule (flop a set and go broke, have a read on some jackass but he gets lucky, etc).

Why should it be any different with KK?

[/ QUOTE ]

because it's a stupid fkin rule re: a stupid fkin play

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we please ban 0evg0 before we ban Baltostar? I've always found your posts to be unnecessarily condescending and rude. You have no significant results to back up your advice, and you offer very little to other posters. You put very little effort and thinking into your 9000 empty posts.

Balty, on the other hand, is focusing on the game rather than belittling others. Even if his play is flawed, I respect his willingness to learn and I'm sure he can become a better player if we were less critical of his errors. He also makes us better players by offering us his thought process. Poker isn't about how we play. It's about how others play, and how we adjust accordingly.

As to the hand, I always raise KK 100% in EP w/100BB. And I always fold the turn. Exploit me.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I enjoyed going through all of the HoH hands and analyzing them throughout that series, and there are PLENTY of times that Harrington say stuff like "You actually call for $300..." (even though he prefers a fold or raise), because you are analyzing actual hands where errors were made. Part of the idea is that even the best pros make mistakes now and then, so YOU will too, but to play your best, you should still realize when you made a mistake and then do your best to play optimal from that point on.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 11-01-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Without direct reads, the stats can help you in establishing indirect leads. Like, "Wow, this clown has an ROI of -88%" as you push the call button on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind of see it the opposite way.

I play a lot of cheap SnGs, and the donk play I see most often is someone flopping a nice hand, getting bet into, and throwing it all in.

I think someone in the STT forum was talking about this: at the low levels, the players tend to be very straightforward; most likely if they make a very large bet they have a very strong hand. (This might be part of Phil Hellmouth's rationale for not likely to call big river bets.)

I'm not sure how many players satellite in to the FTP $750K $1M. The primary turbo satellite 2.5 hrs before awards about 200 seats. Also not sure if you can correlate satelliting-in with weak players; I've see lots of FTP pros in the primary satellite.

Turns out that this player did satellite in. In fact, that was his only career ITM.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree with this.

I use stats for live decision making constantly and it's almost always a good idea.
Donkeys push their chips in with garbage ALL THE TIME. That's why they are donkeys.

Anyway, w/e happened, results?