Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 09-29-2007, 02:05 PM

Default A couple of live multi-way observations

4/8 @ Commerce = live & multiway & close to no fold'em with one or multiple maniacs turning the game into 8/8. Here is some food for thought that helped me to a 50BB+ session last night:

1) Be careful of lowering your standards PF.
2) Remember you are there to WIN. You ARE NOT there to beat the maniac.

1) I was re-reading SSHE and was reflecting on the cautionary advice about offsuit Broadway hands like QTo, QJo and KTo that have been the subject of much discussion. Multi-way, with a maniac leading the way, it is easy to talk yourself into making that cold call, because you now "have the odds" and you "know" you have the maniac beat. And yes, you are right. Odds are you have the maniac beat. But it is the guy on your left who doesn't raise AKs who comes along and kicks your butt.

I resolve to a) stay off of those offsuit Broadways and b) sometimes even small pairs in those situations. Where do you "draw the line?"

2) Forget the maniac. In fact, make him an ally. Over the course of 4 hours, I became the only bettor he respected. He was SO predictable, he was perfect to set up C/R's when he was on my left. On my right, I could lower my 3 bet standards and really pressure the maniac and the table.

I worked at IGNORING the maniac and watching everyone else. It was my attention to their responses that made good adjustments possible. The people that got killed at the table were the LAPs that got sucked along and believed they were better then the maniac. The maniac was down a couple of racks, and I was actually happy to see him win chips. There were lots of times that I was tempted to play on when I "knew" the maniac was full of it. But most times I wasn't h/u or if I was it was in a very small pot. No edge = no chase. Let the maniac take that small pot.

So the first issue is easier to open to general discussion. What multi-way offsuit hands to you play and under what conditions, position, other players, etc.? I've been playing too many of these hands. Have you?

The second issue is harder to debate. I just found it useful to keep my attention completely OFF the maniac. BTW, that is exactly the opposite of what the maniac wants.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: A couple of live multi-way observations

[ QUOTE ]
I was re-reading SSHE and was reflecting on the cautionary advice about offsuit Broadway hands like QTo, QJo and KTo that have been the subject of much discussion. Multi-way, with a maniac leading the way, it is easy to talk yourself into making that cold call, because you now "have the odds" and you "know" you have the maniac beat. And yes, you are right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if one is retarded.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:35 PM

Good post.

I agree that at times it is easy to get sucked into playing hands one wouldn't normally play with a maniac in a game like this. I really tighten up for the most part. But, I tend to stay away from those offsuit broadways you mentioned more than I used to even without a maniac in play. They can be trouble, esp if one is not solid at post flop play. I don't dump them all but I am a lot more careful about playing them dat fo sho.

Like you eledued to, the maniac draws the entire table's attention cause he is the action player at the table. It is always fun watching the players start to play way more hands than even they would normally play when the maniac starts his show. I just stick to my tight style and try and be patient.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:31 PM

good advice.
this is my biggest weak spot; a table with most good players and one mega maniac. i do exaactly as you say, get sucked into lowering my standards and talk myself into calling two and three cold where i never would normally, and getting wacked by the good players.

regarding offsuits i'm ok with those but find myself calling with A8s etc, which is fine in a loose passive game, but not here where typically it's HU or 3 way after the flop.

thanks for the post

Brian
Old 09-30-2007, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
QTo, QJo and KTo

[/ QUOTE ]
These hands are losers in a 5 or more player pot whether there is a maniac or not. As far as the other os broadways, AJ and possibly KQ or better and it will be 3 bet by me.