Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-28-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Car buying tips

[ QUOTE ]

be prepared to walk away

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the bottom line. And they will be playing you better than a three card monte mark in Times Square.

There was a great article about a year ago, I think I got linked from 2+2 but am not sure. about anything...
But is was by a guy who worked for a newspaper and spent 4 or 6 months working the car sales game. He wrote it up kind of funny, but there is NO FUN in the car sales game. They are a ruthless bunch willing to lie and cheat their way to a sale.

I bought a new vehicle a few years back and the sales unit is telling me how these trucks NEVER break down, yada yada yada. 3 minutes later I am in the office with the large breasted, low cut, just plain got to old to work the pole anymore, finance manager who tells me " I'd hate to see something major go wrong and this extended warranty is only an additional $48 a month." or $3000 in their freaking pocket because you have to keep the vehicle more than 70K miles to even have it kick in.

I'll try to googleize that guys article, it will help you.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:40 PM

This thread makes me so sad.

I was so tickled when Saturn launched, and their model was "no haggling". They put a price tag on the car, with the rock-bottom number. I was SO hoping the industry would go that way.

Saturn had to quickly abandon the plan. Nobody would buy a car without trying to haggle. They all WANTED to play these stupid games with the dealers.

Everyone who ever told me about the car they just bought, universally boasted that they "got a great deal". Then I ask them one or two questions, and it quickly becomes apparent that they got a horrible deal.

I guess my point is that for most people, thinking you got a good deal is more important than actually getting a good deal.

I've read so much stuff on the car buying game, it would make your head spin. But I'm still horrible at it.

At least I'm aware that I suck.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:02 PM

Even if you're terrible, you can save a ton of money by doing two things. The first, as noted, always be ready to walk away. You gotta really feel it and know it or the dirty dogs will sense it and pull you back into suckersville. Second, go when the model years are changing over and buy last year's model.

There is little demand for last year's model when the new year has come out, the dealership is losing money on it every day(they don't get the cars out there for free), he'll have to sell it for less every week, and it's taking up space he could use for new product. Tell the dealership they can keep on wasting time and money on the lost cause of a car most customers would not want to buy and nobody would pay a premium for, or they can just get it out of their hair right now and move on to what's going to make them more money instead. Two winners. The other choice is there can be one loser and it won't be you, because you'll just get the same deal somewhere else.

Keep in mind that the resale value will be even worse than usual for you as soon as you drive it off the lot. It's to do with cars you want to keep for a long time, not just a year or three.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for most people, thinking you got a good deal is more important than actually getting a good deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sort of hoped Freakonomics delved into this subject. Not that their theories are at all earth shattering or even productive, but that the comparisons alone are entertaining.

The reason why the Saturn model fails is because consumers (US consumers anyway) think the MSRP is fiction to begin with. Am I to think that the industry is being benevolent? Pshaw.

I recall one near-bamboozle with my most recent vehicle purchase. I found a couple dealers with 4x4 F150's with 8 foot beds, 5.4L, XLT trim line, and the performance options I wanted. One had more doohickeys than the other, which didn't matter much to me. After a couple of weeks going back and forth with both dealers, the guy selling me the tricked out model was only a few bucks away from the guy selling a more basic model. I decided, dollars being equal, why not get the Bose system and the power windows, etc.?

I got there and the guy had all the paperwork prepared. But the math didn't add up. He did the quick "here's our agreed-upon price" which appeared at the bottom, like a bottom line. Added to it were the rebate, my down payment, my trade in, etc. etc. etc. So instead of, say, $25K for the truck, he was writing up a $36K sale.

I told him that I hadn't decided whether to trade my car in or not. I said I may want the cash rebate, as I hadn't settled on financing yet. Furthermore, I told the guy that based on the research I had shown him previously, that I wasn't negotiating down from the MSRP, but was starting with dealer cost and factoring in optional equipment in the plus column and rebates, dealer incentives, and holdback in the minus column.

He said my math was wrong. I told him to have a nice day, went to the other dealer with the less-fancy truck, and got the sale price in writing, then discussed trade, rebate, financing. The number came out to within a couple hundred of my number (though I did settle for a drop in bedliner as opposed to a spray-on one and a cheapo tonneau cover instead of a hard top one). I compromised on options, the dealer compromised on dollars. I signed the deal.

Be very wary of car dealer math.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:21 PM

www.edmunds.com/caradvice.html has a lot of good carbuying advice.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope someone responds to your post. I'm going to be in the market for a used car pretty soon and wouldn't mind tips on getting the price I want. Does anyone know if dealerships are willing to negotiate much when it comes to used cars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Step one: Either get really lucky as far as timing, or go in the very last day of their sales period.

Step two: Find a guy that's just shy of his quota. (Some places keep boards up with names and stats, consider checking it.)

Step three: Have a set price that you, under NO circumstance will go below.

Step four: Enjoy your new cheap car.

When I was in the market for a car last, I really wanted a Focus. I'd looked at a few and knew about how much they were worth. I went to this local Ford lot and saw a really nice one, it was 2 years newer than I thought. It was priced at around $12k.

After a little amount of talk, the salesman was down to the blue book value (I later found out) of a touch over $10k. However, thinking that car was 2 years older, I was thinking it was worth $2k less than what he was offering. I felt like I was getting scammed and played the part well, mostly because I thought I was right, which I wasn't.

However, as the day neared an end, and it became increasingly apparent to the sales guy that he'd make no money for his time, nor make his quota, if he didn't sell me the car for exactly what I wanted it for, he went and talked to the manager fellow. (He did this a few times, always coming back with "Nope, can't go that low". Which, of course, means he talked to no one. I've been in sales, I know that trick.) After about 10 minutes, he came back pleased, and let me know he could do it for $8k.

I ended up not buying the car, mostly because I was broke and had a low paying job at the time, but I did take from that experience that you can get whatever you want if the timing is right, and you're a big enough prick.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
" I'd hate to see something major go wrong and this extended warranty is only an additional $48 a month." or $3000 in their freaking pocket because you have to keep the vehicle more than 70K miles to even have it kick in.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of politics right now. Using fear to get people to do or surrender something. In this case, money.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:55 PM

It has worked really well for the Koreans. Cars are still unreliable enough that those 10-year warranties had some appeal. They were built into the price, but still, while you were not giving up money for a warranty specifically, you were indirectly, by deciding to buy a car you might otherwise never have considered.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
12% is really ridiculous. Try going through a credit union for a better deal

[/ QUOTE ]

12% might be a great rate if his credit is weak like OP stated. Credit Unions might be better but most are credit score based just like regular banks, especially to customers with no history with their CU.

In my town you can get 5.99 for 72 months on 2004 or newer. If your score is 740 or better. A score of 550-600 would fetch a 13-18% rate.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:28 PM

I've learned that I can do all the research and have everything thought out, but when I get there in person I still suck at negotiating. So I've swallowed my pride.

I have one or two friends who are really good at negotiating who I enlist to work out the actual deal for me on any large purchase. Then I'll buy dinner or a case the beer for our next get together. For some people that might be the best option.