Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Old 09-13-2007, 12:41 AM

Default Need shaft/loft advice for driver...launch monitor stats included

Anyone who really knows their stuff, I'd love to hear your advice.
My game: shoot in the mid 80s, break 80 once in a while. Currently hit a 9.5 driver 260-280, most control with a cut/fade. My drives dont get super high in the air, so I was interested in looking at the 10.5* loft.

I am looking to get a new driver so I demoed a few on the launch monitor and have decided to get a Nike SQ, but there are three shaft options and two lofts avail.

My swing speed is avg 105mph, ball speed 145-155. Launch angle varies from 7*-12* depending which loft i was hitting. Spin rates were 3500-5500rpm

I hit the 9.5 and 10.5 loft, with the diamana shaft in stiff flex. By the numbers the 10.5 had a better launch angle and similar est. distance. My hangup is deciding how the different shaft options would change the numbers.

The shafts are Proforce V2 (stiff), or the Adila VS Proto (stiff). Not sure where the kick points are or any other specs, but even if I knew them I don't know how they compare to the one i hit or how they change my stats..... so if anyone has any insight shoot away.

thanks
Old 09-13-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Need shaft/loft advice for driver...launch monitor stats included

Unless I'm missing a bit of pertinent information, there's no way of knowing what the different shafts will do to your numbers.

I can however say the following about your numbers. Your launch angle is inconsistent and you put way, way too much spin on the ball. That is one reason why your ball speed is so low compared to your swing speed.

All things being equal, you should go with the higher lofted driver is for no other reason than you will hit it straighter.

BO
Old 09-13-2007, 01:01 AM

Is it possible for you to demo all of them side by side? Ideally you want a higher launch angle and lower spin rate. The higher launch for you will probably come from a higher lofted club, while the lower spin rate will come from shaft characteristics (high/mid kick point)

One caveat to the launch monitor: the readings in my experience tend to promote a launch angle that is a perfect in windless conditions on soft gorund. Keep in mind what type of conditions you are playing in. If you play in windy conditions or on firm fairways then you may not want to go with quite as high a launch angle as the monitor says.
Personally I would rather give up 2-7 yards to have the ability to hit it lower if I play in those type of conditions.

If possible just hit them all a few times and see what the results are...both in trajectory, flight direction, and consistency. Let me know if you have other questions as I have done quite a few driver fittings. (also make sure you try the TM Burner if you havent already, a majority of my fits have found it to be their favorite)
Old 09-13-2007, 01:02 AM

thank you sir... so you are saying that there is no general trend for say low kick point shafts hit the ball higher (angle) or something like that?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:04 AM

how high is too high? 14deg? 20deg? or is the answer to all my questions... it depends on XXX and YYY.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:38 AM

you want about 12-14 degrees and 3000ish RPM's with your swing speed.

Shafts I love:
Aldila Proto VS
Proforce heavy (70g) V2
Diamana's
Old 09-13-2007, 08:00 AM

If you're getting low launch with high spin it's more likely your swing. The numbers you give are very vague. Were you getting 7 deg. with 4500 rpm? Or 12 deg. with 3500rpm?

I agree with LimitGod except to say look for the high end of his launch range, with max 3000 rpm.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:22 PM

I think the VS proto is your best option, both in terms of being the best shaft of your options and the best for your game.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:03 AM

I'll go hit some more balls and get you all actual numbers... not ranges. Thanks for the help
Old 09-14-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who really knows their stuff, I'd love to hear your advice.
My game: shoot in the mid 80s, break 80 once in a while. Currently hit a 9.5 driver 260-280, most control with a cut/fade. My drives dont get super high in the air, so I was interested in looking at the 10.5* loft.

I am looking to get a new driver so I demoed a few on the launch monitor and have decided to get a Nike SQ, but there are three shaft options and two lofts avail.

My swing speed is avg 105mph, ball speed 145-155. Launch angle varies from 7*-12* depending which loft i was hitting. Spin rates were 3500-5500rpm

I hit the 9.5 and 10.5 loft, with the diamana shaft in stiff flex. By the numbers the 10.5 had a better launch angle and similar est. distance. My hangup is deciding how the different shaft options would change the numbers.

The shafts are Proforce V2 (stiff), or the Adila VS Proto (stiff). Not sure where the kick points are or any other specs, but even if I knew them I don't know how they compare to the one i hit or how they change my stats..... so if anyone has any insight shoot away.

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

if you could get you launch angle around 11 or 12 consistently and have the spin rate like <2200 then i think that would be good. if you can you should try some other shafts or something because 3500 rpm is too much and 5500 rpm is like crazy(i am guessing some of you drives spin back sometimes?). i would say you should try to find something that lowers the spin rate because high launch w/ low spin will get you the most distance.