Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Re: To Catch A Predator 7-18 New Jersey

[ QUOTE ]
i felt bad a few times during this..

i can't explain it. you know the guys are horrible scum. they know exactly what they are doing, and it's despicable.

yet i somehow feel this twinge of empathy when i see a guy face down, cuffed, and weeping.. and he knows he has irreparably ruined his life.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. These guys are scum but mostly they are pathetic losers, and some of them seem mentally slow and borderline retarded. It just seems like arresting them off-camera should be enough. Humiliating them as much as possible in front of millions seems like overkill. I sometimes feel like I'm in the Coloseum watching people being fed to the lions as I watch it. The glee the show seems to take in ruining lives is just not appropriate IMO.

And one guy they caught killed himself.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:15 PM

Can someone elaborate on the zero percent/hundred percent results? It seems like neither of those things is possible, although I would guess 100% would be the more likely of the two, given the chat logs, miles of footage, etc.

Also, does anyone have any web/youtube links for this stuff? I never seek it out but stumble across the show from time to time. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:19 PM

13 grand
in the meadowlands
Old 07-19-2007, 01:31 PM

No news story to back this up but...from what I recall..they actually had a very low conviction rate (for whatever reason I dunno) and that several actually were suing over this.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:32 PM

Some classic lines

"So when am I going to be on TV?"

Perp: "Are you going to hurt me?"
Chris Hansen: "No I'm not going to hurt you"

I turned it off before the guy face planted it into the bar, did they call for emergency or anything?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:37 PM

OCEAN COUNTY, N.J. - We’ve been catching suspected Internet sex predators for more than three years, exposing men on the hunt for sex with young teens. More than 200 men have been arrested.

After 11 investigations in eight different states, a 117 men have either pleaded guilty or been found guilty by a judge or jury.

From MSNBC's website.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone elaborate on the zero percent/hundred percent results? It seems like neither of those things is possible, although I would guess 100% would be the more likely of the two, given the chat logs, miles of footage, etc.

Also, does anyone have any web/youtube links for this stuff? I never seek it out but stumble across the show from time to time. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The conviction rate is extremely low. I know it isn't 0% thought; I think I heard it was around 15-20%.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:39 PM

My buddy works on this show. They were going to dress him up like a kid and have him go into some video game store with cameras on him, but they fired the guy before they could get any footage.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...goes_awry.html

http://media.www.mtsusidelines.com/media...s-2922459.shtml

This doesn't even count the $100M lawsuit filed by the family of the guy that killed himself.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OCEAN COUNTY, N.J. - We’ve been catching suspected Internet sex predators for more than three years, exposing men on the hunt for sex with young teens. More than 200 men have been arrested.

After 11 investigations in eight different states, a 117 men have either pleaded guilty or been found guilty by a judge or jury.

From MSNBC's website.

[/ QUOTE ]
They're definitely not pleading guilty to a high count.