Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 PM

Default general Ax blind defense question

suppose you have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the big blind and defend vs an unknown button stealer.

when the flop comes, you check and he bets. what would be the worst flop(s) that you'd still call? or to phrase it differently: for which flop(s) are you indifferent to calling or folding?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: general Ax blind defense question

Im folding 2 broadway card flops. Im usually either calling or check raising K83 flops or the like.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im folding 2 broadway card flops. Im usually either calling or check raising K83 flops or the like.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like this advice, then fire turn but your question is so vague

actually against an unknown i play it straight forward here, so many of the low limit players wont fold ne 2 to reraises, against a strong player i do this
Old 11-08-2007, 05:59 PM

Well I think this is hard to answer. I mean whenever you miss the flop with this hand it's going to be pretty meh. They'll be a few good flops, and probably more then a few bad ones. Middle range flops are probably like T63/873/J73. Depends a lot on how opponents play at your limit. Like is there pf range very top heavy/what's their barreling frequency.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I think this is hard to answer. I mean whenever you miss the flop with this hand it's going to be pretty meh. They'll be a few good flops, and probably more then a few bad ones. Middle range flops are probably like T63/873/J73. Depends a lot on how opponents play at your limit. Like is there pf range very top heavy/what's their barreling frequency.

[/ QUOTE ]

just to make sure i understand. are you saying you will be indifferent to folding or calling on T63/873/J73 flops?

for those who say "it depends". let's assume a random pokerstars (or ftp) $5/$10 game. let's also assume you are not trying to create an image, call down to learn about your opponent etc. you are just playing for pure immediate ev. this completely describes all the information you have at the point of decision.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean whenever you miss the flop with this hand it's going to be pretty meh.

[/ QUOTE ]
What does meh mean?
Old 11-09-2007, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean whenever you miss the flop with this hand it's going to be pretty meh.

[/ QUOTE ]
What does meh mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh means... well how do you feel when you defend with A4 and the flop comes K82? Thats meh.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:24 PM

Flops like JTx and Q9x are pretty meh.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:26 PM

On a related question, say on a low raggy flop do you guys ever get aggro with these hands? Against unknowns I usually go passive and often end up calling all 3 streets and getting valuepwned lately.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 AM

you are getting 9.5:5 to call down so I'd say a decent rule of thumb is to continue with anything that has 1/3 equity.
You guys can stove it for yourselves but that makes most rainbow boards with two bway's profitable call.

To solve this more generally, I'd suspect we need to figure out which flop+turn+river combos will make for a river fold and then work backwards (i.e. which turn cards should be folded given that we will be able to get away from our hand on the river so often, and then which flops are good given how often we can get away from our hand on the turn or river). This all assumes he always bets when checked to. If he sometimes chks behind then we should be peeling an even wider range (perhaps any flop where we have 30% equity).