Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2006, 01:27 AM

Default Are they trying to steal my compter?

I was having problems with my dell laptop (the place I plug the charger into the computer, to give the computer power, had come unsoldered from the motherboard.)

No computer repair place is close to my house.

So, while I was visiting family in Lexington, KY for thanksgiving, I called 3-4 of the computer businesses in the phone book (yellow pages). They were all familiar with the problem (apparently it is common in dell laptops.) So, I went with the business that had the best price.

The business had pick up and delivery service, so a guy came to our hotel in a van from the computer place and picked up the laptop. We talked for a minute, and he obviously understood what was wrong with the pc. From the conversation, it seemed clear that he had repaired this exact sort of thing before. He explained that it was good that I was getting it fixed while it was still a minor problem, because often people keep using the computer despite the short and fry the motherboard. He said he may have to replace connector part, and might have to order that piece. If he did have to order it, he would call me and let me know. I paid the 75 dollar initial fee and he gave me a reciept (bottom of the receipt is a stipulation that if I don’t pick up my pc within 30 days it becomes the property of the company).

So 2 days pass (including thanksgiving) and he doesn't call. No big deal. Toward the end of the 3rd day (Friday), at like 4 or 5, it starts to look like he isn't going to call. So, I call him.

I call his office number, and get no answer. I call his cell phone and get no answer. I call the main number of the business, and they give me a 3rd number to reach him at.

I call the 3rd number, and he answers. Apparently it was the fax line and he just happened to be available for some reason to it.

Anyway, he tells me he needs to order the part and it will be in Monday or Tuesday. I tell him I will be gone from Lexington by then. He says he can mail it to me. I tell him that I would prefer if he just drops it off at my grandparents’ house, and he says fine.

So, no, call on Monday or Tuesday. no call on Wednesday.

We call him on his cell phone on Thursday from the house phone where I live. He answers.

He says he has replaced the part and needs the bios password to make sure it is working properly.

I give it to him, and he says he'll call us back tomorrow.

The next day he didn't call us by 4 or so, so we called him. No answer at any of his numbers or the business office. We leave a message to please call us.

We call several times on Monday. Tuesday and leave a message that we have no idea what is going on with him, and we may have to contact public officials to figure this out.

Today is Wednesday; I called again with no answer. Tomorrow, I call the police? What do I do in this situation? Is my computer getting jacked? Anyone want to lay odds on how often I get it back?

Short version: Called a business in the yellow pages to fix my computer. I give it to them and talk them once or twice about what needs to be done and what has been done. Then they stop answering phones and returning messages for a week.

Wtf?