Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Low-Stakes Multi-Tablers: Moving up to Career Play

Rusty, it is certainly the minority of SNG pros making $80k+ a year. Keep in mind that not all of the big winners are full-time SNGers, and could be making much more by increasing hours/week.

mattnxtc writes:

[ QUOTE ]
Playing more tables at a lower/easier limit can lead to more profit over playing in higher/tougher games where your winrate goes down enough to cause worse gains than at a lower level.

IIRC, Todd Brunson was a bid advocate in cash games of playing at the most profitable level, not just at the highest level where his winrate was significantly lower?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you increase buyin and not only does your ROI decrease, but also your $/game, then you should certainly not stay at that level. However, if you spend more time concentrating on fewer games, studying more, etc. then you will usually be able to beat the higher games. This is particularly true in SNG play, where a $6 grinder with a sudden bankroll increase could find solid investments playing $100+ using vigilant table selection.

Lacky writes:

"Everyone has to decide for themselves where their comfort zones and goals are. If they are happiest playing lots of low limits games a week and making a smaller sum, but making money nearly every week, there really isnt anything wrong with that."

That is an excellent point which I address in my original post. While I wouldn't classify $55's as "low-stakes" (I was thinking $20's and below), factors such as risk aversion and other career/moneymaking options could make a perpetual quest to increase game investment contrary to your goals.

And Guthrie, the art of winning coin flips comes down to screaming "No deuce!" loudly at your monitor. Works regardless of your hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- Collin