Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 10:27 PM

Default White flaggin it with KK

Live 20-40 full ring $3 ante $5 BI. Good game. Villain in this hand is laggy but good. He's tricky, mixes it up well, bluffs when the stench of weakness is everywhere but plays solid when it counts.

Brick BI's for $5, folded to villain who raises to $20 with an A up, I make it $40 with (K x) K, folded back to villain raises to $60. He has AA because he would have limped AAA. I call. H/U. $149 pot

4th we both brick. Bet/call. $189 pot.

5th He gets a K and I brick. I consider raising and checking behind a missed 6th but instead it goes bet/fold.

Comments?
Old 02-20-2006, 10:45 PM

Default Re: White flaggin it with KK

In Stud when I have KK vs AA I often call it down HU.

I have no idea if this is correct or not, but 7CS4AP says you'll win 1/3rd of the time IIRC.

Andy?
Old 02-20-2006, 11:02 PM

Does losing a K change it any for you, knowing he has spilt A's and you most likely won't know if he has or makes 2 pair?
Old 02-20-2006, 11:04 PM

Villain has live split Aces. If Hero is sure about the read, he should fold as he'll never know when villain hits his side card.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:05 PM

No, there's heaps of times I've had a higher pair than my opponent and they make 2 pair, stud is like that.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:36 AM

The hand matchups at the end of 7CSFAP show that if you and your opponent each have one pair, and your opponent catches one of your pair cards early (your K in this example), it hurts him more than you, because he's less likely to twoop with that card. You're behind in this case, but your probability of improving is better than his.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:11 PM

Well, you're getting $269-80, or about 3.35-1 to see the river.

Sometimes you won't improve and will fold.

Sometimes you will make a second pair and win.

Sometimes you will make a second pair and lose.

If he showed you split AA here (without showing his side card), I think you'd have a fold.

However if you factor in the possiblity that he startted with an underpair with an A up, three flush or three big cards 25% of the time, then you have a call.

IMHO, the possibility he is bluffing/semi-bluffing is the real key to these situations head up. So if your read was he wouldn't mess with around with a 3-bet, and it could only be aces, then you have a fold. But if he's a good player who knows that you know that he knows..etc. than you may have a call.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:30 PM

You were there and have a better read on villian than anyone here. Does he have to have AA to reraise third - would he really decloak that early (I personally would try to work in a raise later esp. if I put you on kings since I know you won't dog it on fifth). Would he reraise with an ace high three flush to convince you he must "have it" so you fold w/o improvement on 5th? Was his suit live? Were queens and jacks live (if so, he may have a pair of them in the hole)? Would he play pocket jacks like this?

The key to making a good decision here is playing well. If he simply must have aces, then my cards are hitting the muck. If I think it's pretty likely he would do this without bullets (maybe he sees you as weak tight), then I prefer to see a showdown (esp if he is unlikely to bet less than aces up on the end).

Jeff
Old 02-21-2006, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The hand matchups at the end of 7CSFAP show that if you and your opponent each have one pair, and your opponent catches one of your pair cards early (your K in this example), it hurts him more than you, because he's less likely to twoop with that card. You're behind in this case, but your probability of improving is better than his.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this example show that when you are ahead it hurts the opponent. What about when you are behind? I can't remember exactly, all I know is that it is a Jack in the example.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:26 PM

Uh, look at that example again. The guy who is behind has caught the other guy's card. This hurts him more than the guy who's ahead because the guy who's behind needs to improve. In this case, the guy with the Kings needs to improve, and that King is absolutely key for him. This is a fold.