Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Shooting Star preflop against Elezra

[ QUOTE ]
I raise to 4000 and expect Eli to call with atc. If he shoves or 4bets I am probably folding because from what I've seen of his play, he loves to see flops AND THEN bluff. So a 4bet looks incredibly strong. Maybe he knows this and will 4bet lighter, but I'd be very surprised if he would rather 4bet bluff than call in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts on Eli are mostly from HSP and other tv appearances. I guess after rethinking, you should call a shove.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:13 PM

HSP is a cash game with redic deep stacks, using that for a read seems awful.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I raise to 4000 and expect Eli to call with atc. If he shoves or 4bets I am probably folding because from what I've seen of his play, he loves to see flops AND THEN bluff. So a 4bet looks incredibly strong. Maybe he knows this and will 4bet lighter, but I'd be very surprised if he would rather 4bet bluff than call in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is your plan post flop? Do you expect to cbet and take it down on all rag flops a lot? Do you expect to stack AT+ on A22 etc? I do not really know how elezra plays v welll so my preferences in this hand could be way off.

[/ QUOTE ]

from the 4 or 5 hours I played with him, he seemed like he was good at cultivating an image of being loose and aggro, but never seemed to put a lot of money in the pot without a big hand. I actually really like the way he played this hand against me.

I made it 5k. I'm still not really sure why. I still don't know what the best play there is. I guess just calling and playing a flop is fine. It feels a little weak but with a hand OOP against a good player who thinks I'm FOS, it's gonna be tough to get paid off. That and I'm not sure I can call a 4 bet there.

The flop was 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I had the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

He had 21k left and I shoved and he quickly called w/ QQ no diamonds.

I hit a king on the turn and paid off my Amex.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what is your plan post flop? Do you expect to cbet and take it down on all rag flops a lot? Do you expect to stack AT+ on A22 etc? I do not really know how elezra plays v welll so my preferences in this hand could be way off.

[/ QUOTE ]

from the 4 or 5 hours I played with him, he seemed like he was good at cultivating an image of being loose and aggro, but never seemed to put a lot of money in the pot without a big hand. I actually really like the way he played this hand against me.

I made it 5k. I'm still not really sure why. I still don't know what the best play there is. I guess just calling and playing a flop is fine. It feels a little weak but with a hand OOP against a good player who thinks I'm FOS, it's gonna be tough to get paid off. That and I'm not sure I can call a 4 bet there.

The flop was 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I had the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

He had 21k left and I shoved and he quickly called w/ QQ no diamonds.

I hit a king on the turn and paid off my Amex.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, I like bet/call or check/shove better here than open pushing 2x the pot.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:23 PM

The top five chip counts of the tournament’s first flight are as follows:

1. David Williams - $188,900
2. Paul McCaffrey - $183,700
3. Andrew Soss - $175,000
4. Peter Feldman - $157,100
5. William Vo - $125,000

Very nice sir.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 03-13-2007, 09:34 PM

easy reraise, prolly to 5-5.5K to make him pay and think your stealing again. He is a pro so he could easily think your making another play and push which is perfect, he is overbetting most likely trying to steal the limp, reraise/call a push or push yourself
Old 03-13-2007, 09:37 PM

I think the overbet shove is really bad there yes it gets the money in the flop when you are ahead but IF he folds a better hand than ace high you were ahead equity wise anyway but you knew that, also overbet shoving won't give him a chance to bluff when your ace high is ahead of his non paired hand. Also, if he has a draw himself he may fold cuz he isn't getting the right odds at all, but if you bet/call or check/shove than you get money in as 2to 1 fav or better.

You really think you fold to a 4bet shove there? I meant to include in my folding to a 4bet really bad because he has pos and expects a cbet and prob flats with AA/KK a lot. I think folding to the 4bet is really scared poker esp since a lot the time he 4bet shoves I think he has AK as well, and some of them you are freerolling against basically.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:41 PM

Wait.. if we make it 5k preflop, then we leave ourselves with 2x pot on the flop. Doesn't being OOP with 2x pot pretty much always suck?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:48 PM

gl in rest of the tourney sossman!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait.. if we make it 5k preflop, then we leave ourselves with 2x pot on the flop. Doesn't being OOP with 2x pot pretty much always suck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.