Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2006, 10:50 AM

Default Pros Softplaying, how big of a problem is it?

originally posted in MultiTable, but was told it wasn't relevant:

I remember that Barry Greenstein post where he stated he doesn't play his hardest against his son, girlfriend, Mimi Tran or Liz Lieu.

Per Barry:

[ QUOTE ]
As I have said in the past, there are going to be situations where players are close enough friends, that they may tend to play each other straight up.

For me, there are four such people: my girlfriend Alex, my son Joe, Mimi Tran, and Liz Lieu. They are all close to me outside of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

from 2+2 Thread: Thread on Barry Softplaying

Here Liz states that some pros softplay:

[ QUOTE ]
PL: You have a lot of friends in the poker world, how tough is it to play against people you like? You are basically going after each others livelihood day in and day out.

LL: We all know that everyone does this for a living and we’re friends, but at the table we’re not. Even when it comes to my best friend, John, I tell him to go at it. There is no mercy. I tell him check raise me all you want because I’m going to do it to you!

However, there are some players that will just check it on the river no matter what comes, they’ll play the hand out and then on the river they’ll just check. That’s not my style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Liz Lieu Interview

which is kind of strange since Liz is listed by Barry as one of the people he has a hard time playing tough against.

There also seem to be some WPT episodes where pro's are being "nice" to one another.

So how prevalent is softplaying by pros that are friends? Or is it no big deal?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Pros Softplaying, how big of a problem is it?

umm, this was already posted? you referenced the thread
Old 08-16-2006, 12:04 PM

I don't believe in soft playing, but I don't go out of my way making my friends targets at the table.

If I have a hand, and a friend donk raises in front of me trying to steal a pot, I play back at them. If I have a hand I can call in position against a raise that I read as weak, I will do it.

But for the most part, since there are far too many opponents out there I can make targets of, I focus on them because it's just more profitable.

I have a friend of mine who for over a year now has been putting beats on me, he will laughingly admit it all day long. He can be a 4:1 underdog on the flop, know this, call and hit his kicker, trip up, or pick up some kind of weird draw to suck out on the river.

However, he finally has learned something. It's not profitable to attempt this against ME, in particular. He does not get paid off when he hits.

For example in a $1/$2 game, he limps with k/5 suited. I raised to $12 with queens, he calls.
Flop is all low, 2 hearts, he laughs * I know exactly what he is drawing to*. He checks, so I bet 3/4 of the pot, he calls, a heart hits, he says "all in." I fold.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:41 PM

donkaments.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:43 PM

big enough to for me to sh|t all over myself and roll around in it
Old 08-16-2006, 10:58 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

shaniac has said that he has seen alot of softplaying in the major tournaments, so unfortunately it does happen
Old 08-17-2006, 01:48 AM

I'd soft play Liz Lieu if she let me touch her fake titties.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:17 AM

i play hardcore against my friends and slowroll them during perfect opportunities. if anything i play soft against everyone else.