Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Re: SamG\'s Log

[ QUOTE ]
Stretching beforehand isn't necessary - do dynamic stuff like leg swings (I love these) and arm windmills. After working out definitely stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK I haven't been doing this. Just a couple minutes on the exercise bike and my warm-up sets. I haven't been stretching at all postworkout.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:25 PM

My gym has big plates down to 5kg so its not an issue. I'd start at 135 if I didn't have those. I really don't think its a big deal for you either way; you could start at less than 135 and have to deal with small plates or start at 135 and have a less than ideal warmup.

I've read that static stretching before lifting is bad. Dynamic before is fine, static after is fine.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:32 PM

I usually stretch my shoulders during my bench press (in between sets) "static" by holding my arm out against a poll while streching it behind my body. Should I stop doing this?

EDIT: I do similar types of stretches in between sets on several other exercises.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:47 PM

sam, i do rdl's with just the bar and then with 95lbs (its not exactly the same movement as a deadlift, but i prefer it to just starting with 135)...
Old 09-08-2007, 12:49 PM

9/8 - Workout B

Last night I stayed up late to play a poker tournament at a friend's. I got it heads up with a 20:1 chip lead and ended up finishing 2nd. Go me.

Anyway I didn't get a lot of sleep and worked out kind of early this morning so I could watch some football today. To be honest, I didn't have a lot of energy heading into the gym.

Warm-up: 3m stationary bike

Squat
2x5x45
1x5x65
1x3x85
1x2x100
3x5x115 (PR)

These didn't feel easy. My form starting to break down near the end of each set. Here's the video. I know my weight is shifting forward on the last couple reps.

http://my.videoegg.com/video/eytQTH

Press
2x5x45
1x5x55
1x3x67
3x5x75

Dropping weight as planned. How is my form?

http://my.videoegg.com/video/eytQrV

I tried a couple rows today at light weight, but didn't do any at "working" weight. Next time.

Chins
1x3 (unassisted)
2x8 (assisted)

I just couldn't get 4 unassisted today.

Looking forward to a couple days' rest.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:01 PM

Looks good. I'm just kind of nitting here-- I've commented on so many other things-- why stop now.

Squat is looking pretty good. You know what you did. It seems to almost start with your head-- on the way down it eases forward a bit, and then coming out lurches a bit. When I lift in front of a mirror I pick a spot on the wall above it and focus on that. I also don't lift in running shoes.

This is the first vids I think I've seen of your press. Looks fine. I suspect you may get a hair forward-- your partner can really help by telling you the exact alignment position over the center of your foot. Your head should get out of the way of the bar and then pop through the window; you don't press around your head. Also, when you are at a weight you know you can handle, think speed on the bar (right from the very start), pressing out all the way on the top, and then quickly pulling the bar back to front rack. There is a point just below lockout where (it looks like) you are willing to hold the weight.

And an alternative to tucking in your shirt is tying a little knot in it just above your belly button.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:45 PM

SamG,

I agree with shemp. Every lift should be done as fast as possible in the concentric. Of course don't just throw the weights around. I guess I should put a form warning in there as well, but there is no reason to slow your lift down for increased TUT or whatever.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:51 PM

Thanks as always for your comments.

[ QUOTE ]
Looks good. I'm just kind of nitting here-- I've commented on so many other things-- why stop now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very good to hear actually. Nit away.

[ QUOTE ]
Squat is looking pretty good. You know what you did.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah. I know it when I do it.

[ QUOTE ]
When I lift in front of a mirror I pick a spot on the wall above it and focus on that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hm, won't that leave my head cocked backward?

I've considered turning the pins around in the power rack and squatting facing away from the mirror.

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't lift in running shoes.

[/ QUOTE ]
I ordered some weight lifting shoes last week, but they haven't arrived.

[ QUOTE ]
This is the first vids I think I've seen of your press. Looks fine. I suspect you may get a hair forward-- your partner can really help by telling you the exact alignment position over the center of your foot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I remember reading the bar should be almost directly above your spine at lockout, which seems a little farther back?

[ QUOTE ]
And an alternative to tucking in your shirt is tying a little knot in it just above your belly button.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol oops forgot.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hm, won't that leave my head cocked backward?

I've considered turning the pins around in the power rack and squatting facing away from the mirror.

[/ QUOTE ]

Using some peripheral vision, I haven't felt uncomfortable-- but I'm not quite as close as you. Keeping the head up and remembering the chest along with it high is a pretty good cue for me. Anyway, your second option sounds good. I mention it because it looks like you took a peek there right before the forward lurch.

[ QUOTE ]
I remember reading the bar should be almost directly above your spine at lockout, which seems a little farther back?

[/ QUOTE ]

What you've read is no doubt better advice-- although I'm not sure I'm giving bad advice there (with some lumbar arch and your head aggressively forward it seems both would be true-- it seems to me that all these things should be vertically aligned)-- so I'll withdraw what I said about the foot. That actually magnifies my complaint that I think the bar might be a bit forward.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:28 PM

sam, lifting in running shoes is preventing you from staying back on your heels during the squat...try barefoot or maybe in chucks, didn't you buy some a while back?