Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Re: SamG\'s Log

I gather he's saying GTG-- specifically don't fail. I'm saying mix it up, do more pull-ups a la GTG, and do negatives in the near term, at least until he gets a couple more reps.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I gather he's saying GTG-- specifically don't fail. I'm saying mix it up, do more pull-ups a la GTG, and do negatives in the near term, at least until he gets a couple more reps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that means grease the groove. I agree with that deal 100% percent. I use it for increasing work capacity with things like BW squats etc (granted for very small segments of my mesocycle).

But GTG is all about low intensity. You can't GTG training to failure 5 a day doing "heavy" triples. You'll burn out your CNS. I think this a basic principle heavily covered by Pavel.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume that means grease the groove. I agree with that deal 100% percent. I use it for increasing work capacity with things like BW squats etc (granted for very small segments of my mesocycle).

But GTG is all about low intensity. You can't GTG training to failure 5 a day doing "heavy" triples. You'll burn out your CNS. I think this a basic principle heavily covered by Pavel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did mean grease the groove, but not as strictly as described in the article. By triples do you mean 21's? I was never suggesting he do something like that. I meant stick to straight pullups.

I could be wrong but I dont think doing 4 pullups to failure is going to tax his CNS all that bad. Pullups to failure is alot different then negatives to failure.

If I was in his position I would be doing my 4 pullups once a day every day for the next week. Then Id take a few days off of them. When I came back I would surely be able to put up 5 or 6.

This is exactly what I did when I was first learning the pullup. I did them nearly everyday until I had a respectable number not to embarass myself in the freshman year physical fitness test.

I think hes going to make gains at this stage no matter what path he takes to get there. He should probably just stick to what hes doing, because it is obviously working.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:00 AM

8/5 - Cardio: 1h15m volleyball

Our team is terrible and lost all our games lol.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM

Well I tried a grease the groove type thing yesterday. Since it's supposed to be low intensity, I decided to do one chin at a time, and I did about 15 or so throughout the course of the day. When I am able to do 4-5 chins with good form on B workout days (hopefully soon), I plan on greasing the groove 2 at a time. Not sure yet whether I should restrict this mostly to workout days or sometimes do it on off days. shemp seems to be a big fan getting plenty of rest, and I think I agree. Doing one chin-up at a time doesn't seem taxing at all, though, so I dunno. I like doing them, too.

When I was 25 and 200 lbs, I bought a chin-up bar for my house on a whim. I couldn't do a single chin. I never used the thing. Now whenever I do a chin-up, it feels like a victory. I'm leaner and stronger now. It's motivating.

[ QUOTE ]
I think hes going to make gains at this stage no matter what path he takes to get there. He should probably just stick to what hes doing, because it is obviously working.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think just about anything will work for me at this point, honestly.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:21 PM

I tried GTG for pullups a few weeks ago. I did 5 sets a day (3 or 4 reps; I can do 6 or 7 max) 6 days a week. I think that was too much cause I hurt my back pretty bad after two and a half weeks. I was also doing them on the door with a towel over it, not on an actual bar.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:24 PM

E,

Yeah, it was a theory question. GTG is low intensity but you can alter chins it in all sorts of ways to lower the intensity (chop ROM and kip most notably) and I agree with what you said. I thought you meant doing some program where you do as many pullups as possible till failure and then moving to assisted pullups or negatives or something.

By "heavy" I meant that if chin max is 4 and he's doing sets of three all during the day. Its gonna crush his CNS. Since it'll be a near failure activity multiple times a day.

Like if he could do 4 strict chins as a max. He could do 3 limited ROM, kipping chins for a GTG exercise since his max on that would likely be ~8-10. This could get him up into more volume and gradually as he adapts he can alter his form and reps. I did this for a couple programs where I couldn't hit the rep ranges with just strict dead hang chins.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:37 PM

I've never followed the strict GTG technique shown in the article. You would definatly be too taxed at the end of the day if you were doing 20 sets at near max effort every day.

I think doing near max effort once a day for several days on end also strengthen synapses in similar ways to the method described in the article.

I am trying to figure out how to do the kip..I find I waste more energy trying to kip then I do deadhang. I mistime the swing and end up swinging back and forth for way too long.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never followed the strict GTG technique shown in the article. You would definatly be too taxed at the end of the day if you were doing 20 sets at near max effort every day.

I think doing near max effort once a day for several days on end also strengthen synapses in similar ways to the method described in the article.

I am trying to figure out how to do the kip..I find I waste more energy trying to kip then I do deadhang. I mistime the swing and end up swinging back and forth for way too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could try frog kicking? I dunno. I'm not big expert on za' kip. Actually I'm not even an expert, I barely know anything about it.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was also doing them on the door with a towel over it, not on an actual bar.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm doing them on my Bowflex, which is now an $800 chin-up bar.