Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 07:15 PM

Default $5+.50 - Call with mid pair medium kicker?

I am a big NL cash game player and I started to play NL tourneys. To say the least it very different to me and I would appreciate any help you can offer.

History:
Button hasn't been super active and has been giving up his blinds and hasn't been contesting pots. UTG+1 has been limping a ton and doesn't open raise unless he has something. He also does a lot of weird donk betting and over betting the pot.

Image:
Button hasn't really seen me play any hands of the sort. He probably came to the table 3-4 orbits ago. UTG+1 has been with the from the start of the tourney. I went on a huge rush of cards and showed down the goods in like 4 pots in a row. Since we haven't really squabbled much. I tried to pick up his limp calls a couple of times and he has bet i60nto me once or twice.

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t75/t150
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t4735
UTG+1: t8215
Hero: t8285
Button: t2375
SB: t5655
BB: t3040

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t150 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t225)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t450</font>, Button calls t450 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t825)</font>, 2 folds, UTG+1 calls t300 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t1275)</font>. <font color="blue">I'm raising here for position in all actuality. I was fine just limping my JT here but then I thought about playing UTG+1 in position so I tried to move out the button with a raise.</font>

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t1575, 3 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t800</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises all-in t1925</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls t1125 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t4300)</font>. <font color="blue">Don't be a lot here but there are some draws out here. Who is calling here getting almost 4-to-1 on the money?</font>

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t5425, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: t5425)

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t5425, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: t5425)

Results:
Final pot: t5425
Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: $5+.50 - Call with mid pair medium kicker?

if your going to make this play raise more pf.. .i would just fold pf your m is a little under 40 so just play more conservatively
Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 PM

Button is calling off almost 1/4 of his stack pf against an UTG limp and raise in front. Given your read, he's got to be fully loaded here and betting into him OOP is a bad idea. As played, I'm not sure whether 0.5 - 6 outs is enough to call.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:43 PM

I realize my M isn't super high but I think there is value by playing UTG+1 in position. Do we still need to raise more to do this then?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 PM

Hmmm.... Didn't look at the stack sizes well enough PF I guess. Ill need to make a note of that for the next tourney and take that into consideration (how much they call off relative to their stack size).

Do you check/fold this flop then if he bets? What if he checks behind? What are you doing dependent on what card comes on the turn?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:11 PM

terrible all over.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:06 PM

Yes thanks. Any advice?

You aren't contributing to any community with comments like that.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:58 AM

1) JTo isn't usually enough hand to play here unless your read is that UTG+1 is a habitual limp-folder and the players behind were tight. I'd actually like this with 98s better... do you see why?
2) You hit a small bit of the flop, but 3-handed it isn't enough to continue really- which happens alot with JTo. I'd like the cbet if you were HU with UTG+1. I'd check the flop.
3) Button smooth called a raise PF and pushed the flop over your bet. He's got a FD or he's got you beat- but his PF actions seem to rule out 2 spades unless he's loose and stupid... not sure what 2 spades flat call for 1/4 stack PF. So at best you've got 5 outs on two streets. Getting 4:1 calling here against an AI is probably wrong, but the least -ev move you made in this hand compared to raising PF with JTo and betting the flop.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize my M isn't super high but I think there is value by playing UTG+1 in position. Do we still need to raise more to do this then?

[/ QUOTE ]

no you don't raise more bc you don't want to pot committ yourself against a shove. looking at the sized stacks behind id fold. limp limp limp steal is too likely your hand is weak and likely dominated
Old 07-06-2007, 11:41 AM

I agree this is bad, you have 8200 and the blinds are 75/150. You lost half your stack with j10. If you are going to do this, which i dont think is good raise more pf. How it played the flop call isn't bad, but you [censored] yourself from the beggining on this one.

ham, whos shove are we pot-commiting ourselves to here? (Unless you mean post-flop)

im done with this, its just bad.