Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 02:28 PM

Default 10/20 Live. River raise... WTF?!

10/20 Commerce.

Folded around to hijack who open limps. I raise in CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] to $100. Button folds. SB asks how much I have (set miner), I have 4K. He has 2.5K and calls. Folded to limper who also calls with about $500 behind.

Flop:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to me. The SB seems anxious and I read him for strong on this flop. I check behind.

Turn:

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Both opponents seem to like this card. Checked to me again. I check behind again, planning to control the pot size and call a reasonable/pot bet on the river.

River:

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, hijack pushes for $510 into $320 pot. This is not the sort of bet I planned on calling. As I consider my action, the hijack's friend on the rail wants to see his cards. When he shows them to him, I see them also. He has A7o. My J plays. I call.

SB, who I had since dismissed, now raises $700 more.

I am so stunned and confused by this, I forget my flop read and immediately call him to see his fives full.

Interested in comments on all streets.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: 10/20 Live. River raise... WTF?!

Sounds like you just got distracted by seeing hijack's cards.

I think you would have been fine folding on the end given your reads and suck between these two, even if you knew you beat hijack. Maybe I'm being results oriented, but given reads and the size of the pot, maybe not.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:39 PM

Well checking behind the flop is OK based on your read I guess.

Turn is another place I might have bet without a read, but I guess you had some reason to believe you weren't good at this point.

I guess calling the hijack is no-brainer on the end since you saw his cards, no reason to fear SB at this point i'd say.

When you get raised though, I think you have to really consider laying it down. It's a protected pot so he isn't really doing this on a bluff right? He also probably isn't doing this for value with a hand with no kicker right? I mean I figure at this level people aren't going to do something like that.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:44 PM

SB is pretty much never ever bluffing here with the other guy AI so you have to assume he has a BIG hand to try to pull off the river c/r. (Unless he is really bad and thinks like Ax is the nuts...but I think most of the time he has the boat)

It looks like a fold but in the heat of the moment I don't blame you for calling.

Other streets look fine. I would normally bet the turn but you gotta go with your reads.

Edit: Also - plz don't post results next time or at least put them in white.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:38 PM

Considering that the HJ is AI then the SB is never bluffing a dry side pot. Also, you have to have a minimum of Ax to call his shove anyways and given the action SB can't necessarily expect you to fold it. Since both aces are accounted for he basically has to have 55 or TT to raise for value here.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Unless he is really bad and thinks like Ax is the nuts...but I think most of the time he has the boat)

It looks like a fold but in the heat of the moment I don't blame you for calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you can blame him for calling. He knows where all the aces are and still calls?
Old 07-05-2007, 05:16 PM

Don't I see you at 100nl?? Where did 10/20 sitting 4k deep come from?
Old 07-05-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(Unless he is really bad and thinks like Ax is the nuts...but I think most of the time he has the boat)

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you can blame him for calling. He knows where all the aces are and still calls?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah nice post sir, I didn't even think of that myself. You just never have an opportunity to know stuff like this yourself, unless you have quads of course.

Is it possible this guy would do this with KJ though?? It's a huge stretch I think. He'd have to put you both on trips and not fear a boat. Or the first villian on a bluff and you on trips. He'd also have to believe you would call with trips.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Is it possible this guy would do this with KJ though??

[/ QUOTE ]

Set-mining nit doesn't see the flop from SB with KJ. Not in his range.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, duh..thanks for reminding me why I never play first thing in the morning