Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Ask me about China - a Chinese-born Foreigner\'s Impression

[ QUOTE ]
How popular is soccer there? Aren't they really bad, how would I go about playing professional soccer in China?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's very popular among the rural areas. In the city not so much because of the limited space. Basketball is more popular nowadays but I bet the # of players overall the soccer players will dominate. There is a Chinese league that is rather competitive: http://www.sinosoc.com/ I don't know how you would go about to be a pro :/

[ QUOTE ]

I want to live in China at some point in the future (so far I went there for 2 weeks on a kung fu trip with my school from MA, and also studied intensive Chinese at college for 1 year). What advice do you have on this? I guess my plan right now is to go to Beijing, find a langauge school and hang out there for a few weeks, then do the same in Shanghai, and then take it from there.

[/ QUOTE ]
What will be your purpose of living in China? If you want to actually learn Chinese I'd suggest you stay away from Shanghai and probably Beijing as well since they are big cities with a huge number of foreigners. Yes it makes things convenient but you probably won't see the best results. From what I've read from imitation Guanzhou seems like a great place for you. Language schools are fairly useless; I'd say just go and find a local girlfriend at every city you're staying at, especially when you already have a foundation.

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it that Chinese people are so cool? I hate making sweeping statemnets about a people or place that are illogical, but I really have to say I like Chinese people the most. They seem straight forward and down to earth to me. I think it might have something to do with the fact that a lot of Chinese have lived in poverty and went through hard times with Mao and stuff. It's my not well thought out theory that people that have suffered come out as people I like. As opposed to spoiled brats.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because we eat a lot of MSG? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I wouldn't exactly say they're straightforward since I have encountered a lot of foreigners that depict us as cunning and deceptive; you probably just got lucky and met some nice ones.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:02 PM

hampster I don't think it's just luck because its a lot of people. For instance one time I was getting a hand job in a Chinese massage parlour in Vegas and I spoke a little chinese to her. We had a conversation, and she said that she didn't used to get along with her family that well in China, but now that she sends them money from the US they like her more. She wasn't complaining and didn't appear bitter at all, just saying it like it was. I think it makes sense too since China has Buddhism, Taoism, and a lot of poverty and suffering.

Also I think the above paragraph is a more interesting topic of conversation but, I disagree that language schools are not helpful. I've done a few now, I think that are great ways to learn the language, meet other foreigners and also to meet locals (the teacher). You can ask the teacher anything you want about the history of a place, the culture, about the teacher themself, it's a good way to integrate (as opposed to just walking around aimlessly all day looking at famous sites).
Old 10-13-2007, 05:31 PM

Zee,

My questions are about the NATO bombing of the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade back in 1999.

Do you think it was done intentionally, or do you think it was an accident?

What do most Australians think?

Am I wrong to say that 95% of Americans who read the news and actually know about that incident think it was unintentional?

Most importantly, what do you think most people in China believe?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Zee,

My questions are about the NATO bombing of the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade back in 1999.

Do you think it was done intentionally, or do you think it was an accident?

What do most Australians think?

Am I wrong to say that 95% of Americans who read the news and actually know about that incident think it was unintentional?

Most importantly, what do you think most people in China believe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I've no idea. I assume its an accident since it's the height of stupid to piss off China.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
China seems to have a smeared image. I imagine a lot of it is exaggerated. But the problems stem from the shear size and number of people.

Is it possible to fix the country's problems without exerting extremity?

How do you think the government is doing right now? Do you believe that the people will eventually find their own freedoms without intervention?

I am led to understand that economically, the problem stems from a mix of communism and capitalism. Do you believe that Communism is going away?

What do you mean, exactly, when you say that Mao had good intentions?

That's all for now, but I have plenty more questions.

Olympics 2008: Are you going?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of your questions stem from labeling things as this or that. There are tons of things wrong with the infrastructure basis in China, mainly the effect of development on the environment. Communist these days basically means "not democratic", there is no Communism in China being practiced either by the State or by the people.

I meant that Mao intended to launch a great Communist nation, driven by Marxist ideologies. That this is impossible and barbaric in a huge mountainous nation of 1 billion people didn't phase him.

Olympics - no, I'll watch tidbits of it from the comfort of wherever I'll be. I hate huge events, other than the Sawker World Cup which is cool.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay a few questions. How popular is soccer there? Aren't they really bad, how would I go about playing professional soccer in China?

I want to live in China at some point in the future (so far I went there for 2 weeks on a kung fu trip with my school from MA, and also studied intensive Chinese at college for 1 year). What advice do you have on this? I guess my plan right now is to go to Beijing, find a langauge school and hang out there for a few weeks, then do the same in Shanghai, and then take it from there.

Why is it that Chinese people are so cool? I hate making sweeping statemnets about a people or place that are illogical, but I really have to say I like Chinese people the most. They seem straight forward and down to earth to me. I think it might have something to do with the fact that a lot of Chinese have lived in poverty and went through hard times with Mao and stuff. It's my not well thought out theory that people that have suffered come out as people I like. As opposed to spoiled brats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soccer is extremely popular, however the national league is largely funded and backed by various State-owned corporations. The only team that is probably profitable is Dalian Shide. I've no idea how you might become a pro there, given that there is basically just the one professional league with no feeder province-based competitions.

I think you should do whatever that makes you happy. Chinese girls are sweet, cute and just so slender. I personally had a blast flirting with everyone. I've no idea of what a language school is like.

I dunno, but I do think cool Chinese people like me tend to be extremely cool whereas most Chinese aren't really all that cool. Like I'm smart without being pretentious, I wish the best for my friends without being emotional mushy, I have individual opinions and tastes, etc. It reflects very well on you that you attract cool guys as your friends. FWIW I find the same for Jewish guys, and have been called an honorary Jew a few times, hence this nick. I'm not sure why, but I guess there is rarely the feeling from Chinese that the world owes them a favour.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:02 PM

"I'm not sure why, but I guess there is rarely the feeling from Chinese that the world owes them a favour. "

i think the reason is because they aren't rich and spoiled brats. FWIW i am jewish