Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2007, 05:37 PM

Default 50ft monitor cable

I have an 56in lcd tv, with a vga input, and I want to hook up my computer to it, from what I read most video cards say not to go over 3 meters or so, but I find 50ft monitor cables out there, is it really that big of a deal? how much quality will I lose? I have a dual head dvi video card, and will need a vga adapter.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Re: 50ft monitor cable

what are you planning on doing with it? I'd say movies should be fine, text may be blurry. Try to get a decent quality cable (reasonably thick, with ferrites on both ends).

There may be ghosting or similar problems with longer cables. FWIW, I got a 50' cable at Fry's for pretty cheap ($20, compared with $150 for monster cable) and have no problems outputting to a projector.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what are you planning on doing with it? I'd say movies should be fine, text may be blurry. Try to get a decent quality cable (reasonably thick, with ferrites on both ends).

There may be ghosting or similar problems with longer cables. FWIW, I got a 50' cable at Fry's for pretty cheap ($20, compared with $150 for monster cable) and have no problems outputting to a projector.

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly enough, I wont be doing much with it. I have no alarm clock, and want to use my computer as an alarm clock, but I have no sound system for my comp, so Im running audio cable from my comp to my sound system thats right next to the tv, so I figured that I may as well get a monitor cable in case I ever need it. I will probably use it somewhat during football season for odds, and stuff, or webbrowsing, but probably not too much.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:17 PM

also, my video card has s-video, would that be an easier solution? I wont be watching movies or anything, i have an xbox media center for that stuff.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:50 PM

s-video would probably be better, if you can find some that is shielded (I don't know if they even make it) that would be best.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
s-video would probably be better, if you can find some that is shielded (I don't know if they even make it) that would be best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would actually prefer VGA over s-video for pretty much any purpose or distance.

Actually, does your TV have a DVI or HDMI interface? You might as well try to do a digital signal in the form of a DVI-->HDMI cable instead of doing analog.