Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 09:34 PM

Default How do Deep Stacked BM Tourneys differ from Online Tourneys?

In my quest to go to Vegas and try my luck at some live tourneys, it looks like I will play the Venetian Saturday noon "deep stack" tourney.

I have come across posts here and elsewhere warning that the Venetian is a deep stacked tournament and that successful online players will have more trouble there.
I read that tourney may attract 100-150 players and lasts 6-7 hours. That's about on par with the old $150 late evening dise Playa (before the rebuy) tourney that would last about 3-4 hours. 3 hours of online play is about the same number of hands, maybe more than 6-7 hours live.

I've also read that some of the online players converting to the circuit or who play in the WSOP overplay TPTK etc and get in trouble in deep stack live tourneys.

I'm trying to understand this. The few live tourneys I have played, all fairly small number of entrants, were more like turbo tourneys--the blinds rose much more quickly per hands played than online. Sure online may go faster timewise, but my experience was that far more hands were played per blind level online.

There are also a lot of online tourneys with deep stacks from UB to some of the old daily $200-300 buyins on paradise that only attracted 30-50 players. Most of the better online players I encounter understand early stage deep stack play in tourneys.

Am I missing something? I read one post that the Venetian's deep stacks get players who try to get too tricky with deep stacks and outwit themselves and the poster believes the competition is soft because of that. I'm not sure I get that either.

My impression is that many smaller BM tourneys are short stacked compared to online and that they become shovefests too early. I play sng online turbos but I think they have more luck than normal sngs and do not understand why players fill the turbos about 3-4x faster on stars than the the normals.

But hey I'm just some online guy so I could use the perspective of some real live players. Comments from you BMers?
Old 01-12-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: How do Deep Stacked BM Tourneys differ from Online Tourneys?

FYI...The V's Saturday tournament is 9.5 to 10 hrs minimum. If there was no chop, it would probably play till midnight