Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: So I\'m getting screwed by a bookie. Ideas?

[ QUOTE ]

That said, before you threaten him, try to get him on a payment plan, which should include juice on what he owes you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're nuts to think that he's going to get interest on top of the money owed. I think he should focus on getting at least some of that money before he even dreams of interest.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That said, before you threaten him, try to get him on a payment plan, which should include juice on what he owes you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're nuts to think that he's going to get interest on top of the money owed. I think he should focus on getting at least some of that money before he even dreams of interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing for sure is that there's no way the bookie is going to pay juice if OP doesn't ask/insist that he does. You can always ask more more and settle of less, but it very difficult to do the opposite.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went 31-0-5

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm, wow. That's a pretty damn good streak.
Is that 5 pushes and 0 losses?
Really?!?!
Old 11-15-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in todays world, what is the point of using a bookie anyway? I can line shop from the privacy of my home, I can make a bet in my boxers, and I know the sites that I have money on aren't going to stiff me if I happen to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only this were true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Admittedly I am a sports betting noob, but why is this false?
Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 PM

Bob that was the week the Wong Teasers couldn't lose. The Skins or the Chiefs were the push if I remember correctly. Don't remember which team.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are not seeing any money until you look this guy in the eye. He may be bust, but he probably isn't. He knows you're a thousand miles away, and he may think the only info you have on him is a phone #. That is why he isn't picking up the phone. In effect, he is saying "what are you going to do about it?".

He is taking a shot at not paying you, plain and simple.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-16-2007, 12:08 AM

Just curious here:

If somebody goes to NY and scares this guy bad enough that he coughs up the 80K, how much is the cut?
Old 11-16-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
send him a sweater for christmas, except not an ordinary sweater--but a REALLY ITCHY SWEATER! he'll either be uncomfortable when he wears it or he'll have to get rid of it and feel bad about getting rid of your gift... a "win/win," as they say.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about going into his closet and collecting all the dessicates? In around 5 years, all of the clothes will be noticeably musty.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in todays world, what is the point of using a bookie anyway? I can line shop from the privacy of my home, I can make a bet in my boxers, and I know the sites that I have money on aren't going to stiff me if I happen to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

If only this were true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Admittedly I am a sports betting noob, but why is this false?

[/ QUOTE ]

online books are far from immaculate

they go under, they withhold money after the fact, they cancel wagers with zero explanation, there are people named Lenny in the business, and a whole slew of other reasons why online books can stiff you just like the guy in your local bar
Old 11-16-2007, 03:06 PM

so here is a bit of advice from a local....

As many people have already said, all that a local bookie has is his reputation. If word gets out that he doesn't pay or pays slow it can cripple his biz. So what you need to do is get in touch with him by any means. You know he has a legit biz, so depending on the type of biz approach the company as a new vendor/customer, someone that would need to speak directly with the owner. Call him 10 times a day if thats what it takes. When you get him on the phone, don't threaten to go to the cops or anything like that. Tell him that you expect to be paid in full ( no vig ), but you understand if that will take him some time, see what he is willing to offer. Most bookies do not want their names tarnished, this 80k could cost him 100s of future action. The fact that he has a legit biz that you know about shows that he was never planning on screwing you to begin with, otherwise he never would have exposed that info.

I would say about 90% of locals these days are actually just middlemen for offshore books. They go out an get the customers, handle the collection and payouts, and get a piece of the players net loss from the offshore book. The fact that this guy was giving you even money 6pt teasers shows that he was not laying it off or in bed with an offshore, none of them offer that, trust me. So this means that he is more than likely just a guy who thought that " the book always wins" , and was keeping the action himself. He might be broke, or at least cash poor , but he has a legit business that presumably makes money. Tell him to put you on the salary at his company as a no show job for 2k a month. There are huge tax advantages to him, and you can show some legit income for all the money you have made slapping him with your wong. Even if you only get 1 or 2k a month from him its better than getting nothing.

If he refuses to work with you then you should go back to the channels that hooked you up with this guy. If your pal vouched for you with this bookie, and you didn't pay, your pal would be on the hook for your debt. The same thing goes for the flipside. Have your pal contact bookie and say, " what you are doing is wrong, and you know it. This will ruin your future business with not only me but also everyone else that I have sent to you". Hopefully your pal is a big customer that bookie will not want to loose.

If none of this works, and you are not willing to hire thugs to go get your money, you chalk it up as a loss and tell everyone you can not to deal with the guy.