Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 11:11 AM

Default Flopped bottom two facing a flop raise, coord board

No reads as played. I now have Villain 67/0/6 over 23 hands, so.... no reads.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $105.40
UTG+1: $30.60
UTG+2: $85.37
MP1: $17.20
MP2: $128.06
MP3: $48.50
CO: $50
Button: $49.25
Hero: $24.50
BB: $54.40

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3, folds, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, Hero calls, BB (poster) checks.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($3, 6 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 raises to $6</font>, ???

Here's my reasoning:

<ul type="square">[*]I'm behind any other two pair, set, or 76 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and 32 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Ahead of any one pair.[*]QQ is unlikely because of the preflop action[*]55 and 44 are unlikely because they're one combination each[*]Q5 and Q4 are just implausible hand combinations. Now that I look back on Villain's tiny-sample stats, they seem rather more plausible.[*]Some people limp AQ or KQ into a big field.[*]A lot of combo draws are possible on this board besides the dreaded SF draw. I'm ahead of A4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 87 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], etc., but only slightly.[*]Bottom two is a hand that needs to be protected. I have no idea if Villain can get away from top pair, a FD or OESD, etc.[/list]
Thoughts?
Old 08-29-2006, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Flopped bottom two facing a flop raise, coord board

My first inclination is to 3-bet big here to try taking the pot down now. OOP I'd love to end the hand right now. Any spade, paint, or straight card sucks on the turn, which basically leaves boating up as your only good option. I worry, though, that villain is sticking around with a ton of hands here if you 3-bet, making a tough decision for you on the turn. That said, I still think 3-betting is better than calling and seeing any of the zillion turn cards you don't want to see.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 PM

With your stack a 3bet is essentially all in. I think you are good here (I'm not going to give villian credit for a better 2pair or set), so push.

Why are you short stacked???
Old 08-29-2006, 01:35 PM

Because you are short stacked, probably poosh. With a full buy-in or more I'd consider calling and C/R all-in on a safe turn (although they aren't that many safe cards).

Villain's AF is 6? A little more the reason the push is ok.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:56 PM

Location: Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Awwwww eeeeen mfer.

If you're going to shortstack at least play $100NL (if $50NL is your standard game).

Meh.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:01 PM

xGREGORx:

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you short stacked???

[/ QUOTE ]

Confidence issues. I'm costing myself value because I should be able to beat NL$50, but damn, when you're running bad it's hard to tell if you're just a fish for paying off so many sets. (I should make a static page with this rationale somewhere since I'm going to be explaining it on every HH I post with less-than-maximal stacks.)

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Now let's get results oriented:

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($3, 6 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+2 raises to $6</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $22</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($53, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $53)

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($53, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $53)

Results:
Final pot: $53

<font color="#000000">UTG+2 shows 4d 4c </font>
<font color="#000000">Hero shows 4s 5h </font>

So yeah, obviously i'm really awesome at poker and will be moving up to $3/6 now.

But I figured it would be weak-tight to put him on a range of two pair or better, and from this discussion it sounds like I was right. I'm learning to hate reraises like this, though, because the only inferior hands that will call them are real gamblers with a draw or some kind of combo draw that's flipping a coin with me. But you've convinced me it wsasn't too bad here.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:10 PM

Without reads, I don't know if you can go any further. I'm not sure though, I don't believe I could fold this in the heat of battle.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:14 PM

why are you short stacked?

allin as played. with 100bbs, 3-betting is okay too as there are alot of [censored] turn cards that can come.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:15 PM

Location: Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

People will raise with draws constantly - this particular flop had both straight and flush draws out there. Certainly can't assume you're beaten the vast majority of the time here. NH.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:38 PM

So you're saying that a flop raise from Typical Villain virtually always means two pair or better? Against a turn raise I probably get away from bottom two, though.