Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Wesley Clark’s memoirs – Seven countries in five years plan

Do you believe there would be a war against Iran in late spring / summer 2008 if the president would have his mandate until 2011? I’d say not a chance since that’s not in the interest of America, but still it seems a war is inevitable next year. And why will it happen in late spring / summer?

"Seven countries in five years"
[ QUOTE ]
The former four-star general recalls two visits to the Pentagon following the terrorist attacks of September 2001. On the first visit, less than two weeks after Sept. 11, he writes, a "senior general" told him, "We're going to attack Iraq. The decision has basically been made."

Six weeks later, Clark returned to Washington to see the same general and inquired whether the plan to strike Iraq was still under consideration.

The general's response was stunning: "'Oh, it's worse than that,' he said, holding up a memo on his desk. 'Here's the paper from the Office of the Secretary of Defense [then Donald Rumsfeld] outlining the strategy. We're going to take out seven countries in five years.'
And he named them, starting with Iraq and Syria and ending with Iran."

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Just for fun - find an escape here:
Ok, the president and vice-president are not that good friends anymore. Let say the president is not very inclined in bombing Iran, while that is the only option for vice-president and Neocons. How could they achieve their goal?

Bombing or not, either option is bad for Israel. But in case of missing this moment, they would probably be in bad position under the next president regarding bombing Iran. They probably wouldn’t like to miss their chance while they have it. Still, the president doesn’t want to hear about it. I’d assume he would explicitly tell Israelis that he would not allow any bombing without his permission before. Fortunately vice president supports bombing. So, they have to make their plans of treason behind the president’s back.

In the late spring or summer Israeli bombers suddenly attack Iran. Iran’s defense responds and most probably some targets are American bases nearby. Of course the USA can’t just wait and fights back. They have their war.

Now, how could the president prevent another war here? He can’t retreat after his men were severely attacked. He cannot call Archimenidzad after to stop the war; public at home would not allow that. He cannot afford to teach Israelis a lesson. Most probably he didn’t call Archi before a surprising attack, just to say they won’t allow any Israeli attack and/or that Iranians shouldn’t attack US bases.

So, what could be an escape here (he doesn’t want this war)? Would it be the best to give an order to the units in Iraq to knock down any Israeli bombers as soon as they reach Iraqi territory without his permission? Any escape here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-08-2007, 07:15 AM

Default Re: Wesley Clark’s memoirs – Seven countries in five years plan

[ QUOTE ]
Do you believe there would be a war against Iran in late spring / summer 2008 if the president would have his mandate until 2011? I’d say not a chance since that’s not in the interest of America, but still it seems a war is inevitable next year. And why will it happen in late spring / summer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe interesting for non-Americans since betting on elections is illegal in the US.
Current odds for a wining party on elections are:
- democrats 4/9 to 11/21 (1.36 - 1.52)
- republicans 8/5 to 2/1 (2.6 - 3.0)

I just put 500$ on republicans to win elections, although I wouldn't care too much about losing my bet this time.

(I hope thread won't get locked – It might be good for discussion).
Old 11-08-2007, 08:16 AM

Default Re: Wesley Clark’s memoirs – Seven countries in five years plan

[ QUOTE ]
He cannot call Archimenidzad after to stop the war;

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice spelling of the name Ahmadinejad [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]