Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 02:50 AM

Default .50/1 AK unimproved in position against TAG, turn and river play

Hey all. Havnt posted a hand in a while so I thought I might get back into it.

Villan is 12.5/5.6/1.6 after 600 hands and is playing all 5 .50/1 tables.

Full Tilt 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Checking here is obviously best in the cases Villan has a better hand than me, since he will show that better hand down. But In the cases he has AQ-AJ, KQ-KJs, I dont think checking is horrible. I likely dominate villin and he has few outs. If I bet I might lose him. If I check I might induce a bluff on the river if villan is stupid enough to try it since my hand is pretty obvious at this point.

River: (4.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks
Dang. Do I check behind with unimproved AK? I dont think so.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: 4.75 BB

It didnt work out this time but I think, based on my read of villins hand, I did my best to get an extra bet by checking the turn and making what villin might sense as a bluff on the river. Please dont flame if too standard.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Re: .50/1 AK unimproved in position against TAG, turn and river play

I cant see a worse hand calling and I cant see a better hand folding the river (so river bet is reaaaly bad). The rest seems expert, but I think you can bet the turn (for value).
Old 11-15-2007, 03:46 AM

I bet the turn here. What do you think villain has here? He didn't cap pre-flop, so AA-JJ are unlikely. He is either ahead of you with something like 77-99, maybe two high cards including a 10, or he is drawing to a flush. If the latter, I don't like giving him a free card. If the former, you can plan on checking behind on the river if your hand doesn't improve. If you get check raised on the turn, you can be pretty sure that you are behind against this guy and fold since you are getting only seven to one with at most six outs and probably less.
As for not wanting to "lose" villain, I would tend to be happy if I win the hand with A high rather than give a free draw to him.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:52 AM

Xylocain, against the right player on full tilt, they might call with a worse A high. But I just check it, it's too thin imo. Not really bad, but not that great either.

Also, I check that turn and call a river bet on a decent card. I probably fold against a river bet if a diamond paint card falls.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:15 AM

I'd fire the second bullet on the turn and check behind on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2007, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I cant see a worse hand calling and I cant see a better hand folding the river (so river bet is reaaaly bad). The rest seems expert, but I think you can bet the turn (for value).

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn bet, river check. That is the standard play and there is no reason to deviate here against a TAG that has AK-AJ, and KQ making up a large portion of his range.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 AM

I like turn check as a bluff-inducer against any aggressive player. At this point, I'm usually either way ahead of another AQ/KQ or somesuch, or I'm drawing to six outs against something like 99. I don't mind letting villain have a free card in a small pot if he's drawing to a 3-outer, but I hate to get pushed off my hand if villain check-raises with 99. A lot of players can't stop themselves from automatically betting the river if I check the turn, so I think there's more value in calling a river bet than putting in a bet myself on the turn.

On this particular river against this particular opponent, I think you can stick in a bet for value. If he could beat you he probably would have led the river, and he might call with a weaker A-high.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn bet, river check. That is the standard play and there is no reason to deviate here against a TAG that has AK-AJ, and KQ making up a large portion of his range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting the turn and checking the river would be standard against a loose-passive who might have six live outs against you and who won't play back with a marginal holding.

Against an aggressive player (especially LAGs but TAGs too), checking behind on the turn really ought to be your default line, with an occasional turn bet thrown in against a regular opponent for variation purposes.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting the turn and checking the river would be standard against a loose-passive who might have six live outs against you and who won't play back with a marginal holding.

Against an aggressive player (especially LAGs but TAGs too), checking behind on the turn really ought to be your default line, with an occasional turn bet thrown in against a regular opponent for variation purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not the type of villain that is normally going to play back at us. In fact, post flop this player isn't all that aggressive. The majority of the time they are just peeling once with overcards here. If this villain check/raises the turn it is rarely to make a play on us, and much more likely to be a made hand.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 PM

Nice avatar!

I bet the turn if villain is passive. No point in giving a FC if you won't get a bet from KJ if it misses. If vllain is aggro I take ur line. River bet is good.