Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 03:50 AM

Default Some perhaps simple preflop spots from $2500 6-max

I generally have a hard time figuring out what is best for preflop play, when short and not holding the best of cards. It seems in these tournaments other players are playing more flops than me once the antes kick in; I generally keep it to resteals and having the intiative myself.

These are just some check-ups:

First hand at new table. I have 2400 in chips after posting the 200 big blind, so I'm very short, avg is probably 10-12k (we started with 5.) There is also an ante.

Middle-aged guy in MP who looks like a fish (if you play tehse WSOP tournaments you know what I mean) opens to 600 in the CO. I have JTo on the BB.. what are my options?

I have another hand in question but I suppose it is affected by what can happen here so I will post it later.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:03 AM

Default Re: Some perhaps simple preflop spots from $2500 6-max

Honestly I would call and generally hope to hit the flop or make some draw. There is a big overlay with the ante and you are getting good pot odds with a semidecent hand (400 into a 1050 pot), yet it's probably difficult to make your opponent fold by moving allin preflop.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:05 AM

without a read other then "he looks like a fish" id fold. u dotn haev much folding equity but if u wanted to get tricky u could call and shove flop, but I would fold, and wait to push
Old 06-19-2007, 04:08 AM

With or without the $400 youre basiclly shipping with any decent hand in the next round, so I agree 100% with curtains and call and hope to flop a pair or draw.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:25 AM

i think in this spot the fact that the jack ten is unsuited plays a big role. I think it's a fold. jack ten sooooted I think is a call.

the trouble with the JTo here is if it flops a draw, it probably hit your opponent's range, but it's easily dominated if it pairs.

i think a fold is best.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:49 AM

fold, 25 ante right? Doesn't make much difference with 6 ppl, find a spot to push first, u have jack high and no fold equity
Old 06-19-2007, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think in this spot the fact that the jack ten is unsuited plays a big role. I think it's a fold. jack ten sooooted I think is a call.

the trouble with the JTo here is if it flops a draw, it probably hit your opponent's range, but it's easily dominated if it pairs.

i think a fold is best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno I just don't think folding can be right getting these odds against a steal raise. Honestly I don't even think it's all that close, because it's so easy to play if we flop a pair or draw due to the shallow stack sizes.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:54 AM

Yeah but old guys are total nits, I might like a stopngo vs an aggressive player, but still much prefer open raising myself with any 2 cards
Old 06-19-2007, 02:26 PM

Definately don't push PF cause these fishy guys generally aren't raising that light PF and if they are then they are also the type that talk themselves into calling light as well.
If you had 2k I'd like a stop and go, because with guys like you describe can talk themselves into folding pretty big hands if you shove for a pot sized bet on the flop. Your stack might be a little too big for that (too much risk/reward), so I would probably fold.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:43 PM

I like a stop and go these live guys aren't calling you with ace high or 3rd pair etc like online.