Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 02-16-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Any Gamers? WoW Membership Site Idea

WoW has a ton of competition for gaming & advertising services. If you want to get in on the ground level with less competition for a game that already has 1.6 million downloads at cnet in a little over a week (it's been popular in Korea for 3yrs), I highly recommend War Rock. http://www.warrock.net/

I would use many of the successful marketing plans for WoW and use them for this game.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:55 AM

There are a ton of free content sites for WoW already. What value would your service add?

sites like thottbot wowhead wowguru (just to name a few) have tons of information and guides already.

there is also a wow wikipedia wowwiki that is 100% free user generated

most these sites make money off ads, not many use adsense tho

what kind of information would your site have would make people want to pay to be a member of?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:07 AM

I only see one problem, but I realy like the idea. If you need any specific help hit me up cause I play. WOW players spend a huge amount of their time.....playing wow. But they are pretty active on the wow forum and their guild websites. Maybe it would be good if you made a useful social network for wow players.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:46 PM

I think another potential problem is that most people who would play WoW already do. So if you launch this site, you should have a longer-term goal of spreading the same model to ALL MMORPGs that may come out in the future, or any other subscription based games. This way you'll already be set up to capitalize on the next big game, cause WoW won't be it forever.

I believe that penny-arcade.com had a deal with Eve-online that was earning them a healthy kickback on new signups.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:19 PM

You would probably have better luck going after new games as opposed to WOW. There are multiple games just released (Vanguard) or about to release this year (Warhammer, Age of Conan). You would just have to find competent gamers that could write the guides for you.

If you have any MMORPG related questions feel free to PM me. I have played or beta tested about every game made to date. I also used to make a majority of my income from MMOs.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:36 PM

I want to thank the people that responded in this thread and through pms. It has been about an even split of people that think this could work and the rest saying it would work for a newer game.

This is what I did to test the market:

I bought a domain name. Setup a squeeze type page offering a bonus if they they opted in. I setup a 7 day autoresponder emailing my list and preselling them to some WOW guides I found on clickbank.

PPC was used to generate traffic. I had some very broad keywords. I didn't care because it was just a test to see if this is a market I should invest my time and money in. I did this over the weekend.

Ended up spending about $148. I sold 5 ebooks ($75 commission) and had a little over 100 opt ins. This was over a 2 day period. I knew it would be a losing campaign but that wasn't the point. With some keyword research I could make this a profitable campaign.

What my test told showed was that even with all of the WoW forums, gamers are still interested in paying to get more information.

Several posts suggested that I would have more luck trying to setup a site for newer released games. What some people don't understand is that competition is a good thing.

It looks like I might be moving forward with this. I still need some gamers that will be interested in helping. Let me know. Also any sugggestions are appreciated.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:30 PM

Looks like it could absolutely be profitable, especially with organic.

Best of luck!
Old 02-19-2007, 04:39 PM

Is this basically CardRunners for WoW? I've thought for a long time that the CR business model could for lots of different things.

tc
Old 02-19-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this basically CardRunners for WoW? I've thought for a long time that the CR business model could for lots of different things.

tc

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it would be similar to RealPokerTraining, PokerXFactor, and your CR site for WOW. I'm sure your business model would work for several other markets.

CardRunners is a great example of how even when there is a ton of info on a certain subject like poker, money can still be made in that niche.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:01 AM

This is an awful idea. WoW is way too mature for a new player to enter the game without something special.

Other sites have been around for Everquest and other MMOs, and people go to them when a new game comes out, before they even have content. The only way you have a chance is if you have something up and running for the alpha and beta releases. There will actually be a NEED for content at this point. Don't waste your time on a game that has already been released to the public. By the time, it's too late.