Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Full Ring 101 Questions - N00Bs ask here

[ QUOTE ]
Don't get me wrong split, I'm happy if that would turn out to be right but isn't that a little optimistic?

Not that it matters too much, playing good and improving is more important than winrates anyway IMO...

[/ QUOTE ]

it might b a lil optimisitic...but srsly, with solid hand reading and LAG in position play, 10 is very attainable so long as u VB like a madman, and can laydown. its not going to b standard practice at that level (and tell u the truth, i dont think my current play style cud yeild more than 6-7bb/100 at 25nl)
Old 10-30-2007, 05:48 PM

I just played a somewhat loose-ish 18/12 style over 7k hands at 25NL doing 9.8 ptbb (button was 30/18 with 0.6 ptbb/hand) and I definitely think 10 is sustainable. But I think you really need a sense of table dynamics and good handreading to do it.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:53 PM

I haven't had PokerTracker very long, and I was wondering at what point did people convert over to PostgreSQL for the database? When I try to run PAHUD on stars it already seems slow, and I've heard its even worse on FT. Does PostgreSQL help with this even for smaller databases?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:11 AM

I converted at only around 50,000 hands but it seems to run better now than it did before. I'm certain it wasn't anywhere close to necessary, but I figured I might as well go ahead since I knew I'd want to eventually anyhow.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i run at 12/7/4 (attmpt2steal around 22%, go2SD around 20.5%).

when i play 100nl, i loosen up naturally for some odd reason (16/8.7/4).

hope that helps a lil

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I am fairly new to cash (from SNG's)and have been around 25/14/2.

What hand ranges do you recommend open betting with, calling with, raising with from what positions? Lets say from EP, MP and LP? Someone told me yesterday my vpip is to high, but I need to figure out which hands to play from where.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one answered these questions...

ideally, what should be my approximate vpip/pfr%/ta stats be, and

What hand ranges do you recommend open betting with, calling with, raising with from what positions? Lets say from EP, MP and LP? I need to figure out which hands to play from where to improve my vpip stats.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What hand ranges do you recommend open betting with, calling with, raising with from what positions? Lets say from EP, MP and LP? I need to figure out which hands to play from where to improve my vpip stats.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have a strong urge to bake cookies?

playing poker well isn't about cookie-cutter preflop rules

the ideal stats for a player depend on the players skill postflop, table/seat selection, how the other players are reacting to your play etc..
Old 10-31-2007, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i run at 12/7/4 (attmpt2steal around 22%, go2SD around 20.5%).

when i play 100nl, i loosen up naturally for some odd reason (16/8.7/4).

hope that helps a lil

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I am fairly new to cash (from SNG's)and have been around 25/14/2.

What hand ranges do you recommend open betting with, calling with, raising with from what positions? Lets say from EP, MP and LP? Someone told me yesterday my vpip is to high, but I need to figure out which hands to play from where.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one answered these questions...

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your position stats would be the first thing to look at. Most people, no matter how many times they read it in every book, play too loose in EP. Maybe that's a lot of your problem?

It would probably be easier to look at those stats and to see where things jump out and go from there.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:18 AM

In terms of what hands to play where, it really depends on our style, what time of day, what site, table dynamics etc etc.

Generally, you should only play big hands from early, and always be raising. 99+, AK, maybe AQs,KQs. Some people include AQo and AJs, but I wouldn't other than for occasional mixup (and there, I'd go down to QJs).

Reraise anywhere with AA,KK, and usually AK and QQ (depends on the raiser - v.tight players raising from early == fold AK).

you can add more pairs and less big cards as you move around. By the hijack or cut-off you choose cards based on action before you and what the table is like.

For some limpers ahead, you can start adding limped suited connectors and maybe Axs, if you think the chance of a raise behind is small.

For noone ahead, you can add more strongish hands for raising in order to blind-steal/take it down with e c-bet, such as A9+, KT+.

For raisers ahead, stick with a reraise with monsters, or calling with PP (if the stacks are deep enough to justify odds - say >1/15 for your put-in, less if a supertight guy has raised early (much more likely to the AA and KK, so more likely to be stackable).

On the CO and Button, you can add even more stealing hands if the blinds are soft and 0/1 limper, and more limping hands if there are limpers (you can limp with 54o,97o on the button, for example).

Blind play is easy if only the two of you is left - raise and c-bet.

Don't be too loose limping the SB with callers ahead, you're OOP the rest of the hand. Fold anything not wired in some way (stick around with PP and big cards for sure, but you might wanna dump hands that rely on implied odds like SCs - but that's your call).
Old 10-31-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In terms of what hands to play where, it really depends on our style, what time of day, what site, table dynamics etc etc.

Generally, you should only play big hands from early, and always be raising. 99+, AK, maybe AQs,KQs. Some people include AQo and AJs, but I wouldn't other than for occasional mixup (and there, I'd go down to QJs).

Reraise anywhere with AA,KK, and usually AK and QQ (depends on the raiser - v.tight players raising from early == fold AK).

you can add more pairs and less big cards as you move around. By the hijack or cut-off you choose cards based on action before you and what the table is like.

For some limpers ahead, you can start adding limped suited connectors and maybe Axs, if you think the chance of a raise behind is small.

For noone ahead, you can add more strongish hands for raising in order to blind-steal/take it down with e c-bet, such as A9+, KT+.

For raisers ahead, stick with a reraise with monsters, or calling with PP (if the stacks are deep enough to justify odds - say >1/15 for your put-in, less if a supertight guy has raised early (much more likely to the AA and KK, so more likely to be stackable).

On the CO and Button, you can add even more stealing hands if the blinds are soft and 0/1 limper, and more limping hands if there are limpers ( you can limp with 54o,97o on the button , for example).

Blind play is easy if only the two of you is left - raise and c-bet.

Don't be too loose limping the SB with callers ahead, you're OOP the rest of the hand. Fold anything not wired in some way (stick around with PP and big cards for sure, but you might wanna dump hands that rely on implied odds like SCs - but that's your call).

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, I guess where I am having confusion is Axs, sc, connecters, gappers. So you're saying basically position is key with these hands too, so don't open bet or limp w/ them from EP, MP, only in LP. I have been opening with these hands from any position if folded to me, and limping behind from any position if someone has limped in front of me.

W/ respect to the btn example above (bolded), if folded you on btn you would not raise w/ something as weak as a low connector/gapper? I thought that aggression was the key?
Old 10-31-2007, 01:25 PM

I'm basically having the same confusion. I watched bottomsets' videos, got jazzed, opened 4 25NL tables and tried to play like him, raising limpers with a wide variety of hands, open raising with pp in any position, etc. I dropped 3 buyins in an hour. I'm sure he would have done much better postflop than me or maybe read the tables better or whatever.

Anyway, I'm not skilled enough for that kind of play, so basically, I'm back to 1-tabling, sometimes 2, focusing on the fish and trying to stay out of trouble