Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Checking flush behind on turn vs LAG

$2/4 6m Stars

SB is LAG, 60/15/3

Folded to SB who completes, I check J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Yes I know I could/should have raised preflop, ignore for now.

Flop (2SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, I bet, SB calls.

Turn (2BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks, I check planning to call river, betting if checked to.

My reasoning here is that I am either way ahead or way behind. When behind I am certainly paying 3BB to show this down. When I am ahead he may fold here, call down (2BBs), or raise (3BBs). Also, it is unlikely he raises without a flush based on how I have seen him play despite what his stats may indicate. Furthermore, from previous hands it appears he bets the river often after the turn checks thru HU. Good plan?
Old 03-07-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Checking flush behind on turn vs LAG

Actually, to me this is a rather standard play, even heads-up. You are more likely to be called on the river when you check behind, and you're saving bets when behind, and you are also inducing bluffs/bad value bets by the LAG. Like you just said.

The problem is of course that you may miss value from a made non-diamond hand, but I still play it like you did without thinking that much really.

To make up for this potential loss of value when he would have called down had we bet, there may be some merit to raising the river if he bets. Just as long as you have no problems folding to a 3-bet (which you shouldn't have trouble doing), and that he might call the (potential bluff) raise with a pair of jacks or aces. On the other hand, in that case he would have called down if we bet the turn, but it would be tougher to fold to a turn checkraise than to a river 3-bet.

Well, whatever, sorry for over-analyzing, your line is fine.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Checking flush behind on turn vs LAG

standard.