Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 11:38 AM

Default $50nl AQ Button on BB

Villain in Question is a multi tabling TAG. (20/14) He has been 3 betting my button opens moderately, like 1/5.

I want to post both hands they are vs same opponent on 2 different tables. I feel that by posting the hand entirely will help me understand if my play is correct from start to finish.

I currently feel a big leak/flaw in my game is playing correctly in 3-bet pots.

------------------
HAND #1
------------------

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BasherKid (MP): $60.50
ScottX5335 (CO): $55.10
Hero (BTN): $51.50
DNP83 (SB): $54
Villain (BB): $61.30
AurzaV (UTG): $81.30

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q dealt to Hero (BTN)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, DNP83 folds, <font color="red">Villain raises to $5.50</font>, Hero calls $3.75

Flop: ($11.25) 2 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Villain bets $8</font>, Hero calls $8

Turn: ($27.25) 2 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [ T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Villain bets $18</font>, Hero folds

Here after calling pre-flop, I intended on floating him on the flop and playing my hand like a TT or JJ and seeing what he did on the Turn. If he checked i was planning on firing. But once he fires $18 I feel my only play to raise All-in and I don't think I have FE. I am not even 100% that pre-flop is standard tho. Thoughts?

------------------
HAND #2
------------------

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Villain (BTN): $49.75
Hero (SB): $88.50
big dady shawn (BB): $11
rickmorey (UTG): $45.05
kastaja (MP): $54.60
OSUCraig (CO): $140.50

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
3 folds, <font color="red">Villain raises to $1.75</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $5.75</font>, big dady shawn folds, 1080twist calls $4

Flop: ($12) Q 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Villain bets $7</font>, Hero calls $7

Turn: ($26) Q 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [ 3 ] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Villain bets $21</font>, Hero folds

On this hand I felt that villain was solid enough that if I bet the flop he was not going to give me credit for a Q and possibly raise me off the hand. I felt that c/c would be best as if did that, then there would be no way that he would continue to bluff the hand. Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: $50nl AQ Button on BB

I fold pf in hand 1, and I bet or cf the flop in hand 2. I think calling the flop is pretty bad in both cases.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold pf in hand 1,[

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you ever make a case for calling this in postion, or do you advocate 4bet or fold preflop?

[ QUOTE ]
and I bet or cf the flop in hand 2. I think calling the flop is pretty bad in both cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree with this looking back at it. I just dont like giving up so easily I guess.

Thanks for your input tho.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:56 AM

hand one looks semi standard. you could of course fold pre or on the flop. 4bet might not be a bad idea but you'll probably feel pretty meh if he shoves.

hand two if i check i check/fold i don't mind a weakish cbet/fold though - chances are pairs aren't as much of his range as a normal 3b situation.

EDIT: actually on closer inspection of OP's reads i'd be favour calling pre (i think we have odds) and not floating.

just remember that unless he's 3betting 1/3 of your btn raises and you are folding every time you are making money, so you don't have to play back to make money.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:04 PM

check calling the second hand
I know it sucks having to give up, but check calling is probably your worse option :a 20-14 on this flop probably has you beat unless you've been crazy with the three betting.
If you don't want to check fold, you can Cbet, even sometimes two barrels, or maybe sometimes checkraise...
depending on villains and conditions, all can be a littl spewy here but it's clearly better than check calling.
When your chek call, you're hoping that you have the best hands, and that villain will bet worse enough to make your call profitable. (btw, if you have the best hand, villain will bluff very rarely over you cbet)