Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Blackwater in a time of peace

Much has been written and discussed about Blackwater and it's heavy footprint in Iraq. I worry also about the prospects of a post-conflict-era Blackwater, assuming the United States will not perpetually be at war.

Blackwater has a 7500-acre base, replete with its own tanks, aircraft, and intelligence division. It is a multi-billion dollar corporation. Economic beasts like this do not simply fold without fighting for survival.

What will Blackwater do in a "peaceful" era? I can only hope that Blackwater doesn't become a political police force for, say, a President Giuliani (or Clinton).
Old 11-03-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Blackwater in a time of peace

[ QUOTE ]
Much has been written and discussed about Blackwater and it's heavy footprint in Iraq. I worry also about the prospects of a post-conflict-era Blackwater, assuming the United States will not perpetually be at war.

Blackwater has a 7500-acre base, replete with its own tanks, aircraft, and intelligence division. It is a multi-billion dollar corporation. Economic beasts like this do not simply fold without fighting for survival.

What will Blackwater do in a "peaceful" era? I can only hope that Blackwater doesn't become a political police force for, say, a President Giuliani (or Clinton).

[/ QUOTE ]

Blackwater will do what they make most of their profits doing now, providing the worlds greatest military/LE and personal defense training, and providing private security to wealthy clientele worldwide.

Iraq is just a "side job".

As for the tanks, they'll go back to what they were used for, training vehicles to provide training drastically superior to what the US military provides.

I've been through some of their training, its the best in the world.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:06 AM

They are mercenaries for hire and there are enough conflicts in the world to keep them busy if our country is somehow at peace.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They are mercenaries for hire and there are enough conflicts in the world to keep them busy if our country is somehow at peace.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this hilarious. I'm going to make a statement, let you bitch, then I'm going to explain why I'm right.

Blackwater employees have never killed anyone, in any conflict, anywhere in the world, while employed by Blackwater.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this hilarious. I'm going to make a statement, let you bitch, then I'm going to explain why I'm right.

Blackwater employees have never killed anyone, in any conflict, anywhere in the world, while employed by Blackwater.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have a negative opinion of Blackwater. A lot of that changed when I watched Erik Prince's interview with Charlie Rose. Blackwater's services have the capability of doing some real good in the world.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:26 AM

Hopefully the military, along with the rest of the govt, will be dismantled after the AC revolution. Blackwater will probably be the largest company in the free market security industry.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully the military, along with the rest of the govt, will be dismantled after the AC revolution. Blackwater will probably be the largest company in the free market security industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a feeling that Erik Prince would have some tough competition in that scenario. There probably wouldn't be many no bid contracts.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:49 AM

They would definitely have competition. But since they're already so large and well-established, they would be the largest security company for a few years at least.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They would definitely have competition. But since they're already so large and well-established, they would be the largest security company for a few years at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that Blackwater is far too advanced to fill most security contracts. I mean, can you really see these guys working mall security, or a mall paying them the amount of money this type of skill requires?

Blackwater will probably make a ton of money in the training industry, equipping those who want to work at other security firms with baseline knowledge.

Blackwater actually runs a private police academy in NC now, as a matter of fact.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:17 AM

Blackwater is just another blight, no, lets call it it what it is, a boil that disfigure perception that the rest of the world has of the USA.

They type of business (if it could be called a business [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) would not be allowed in most civilized country. A large part of their stated aims, although stated euphemistically, on their propaganda is to train and supply mercenaries or unlawful combatants according to the Geneva convention.

This raise a number of questions not the least which are, for example:

"Is the government and its military commanders recognizing that their training, and therefore their military, is incompetent, or nearly not as good as those motivated by greed?". I mean, Blackwater is used for the defense of US diplomats in Iraq and Afghanistan, lets not leave this to the army, they are bound to FU.

If not the above, "Is the government deliberately using the stratagem of using mercenaries or unlawful combatants, to get their dirty work done?" It seems that they are not subject to a court martial for unlawful behaviour, unlike soldiers.

And last, but not least, should the ennemy whoever it happens to be treat them the same way that the US treats "suspected" unlawful combatants, ie treat them with conditions similar to Guantanamo Bay, and no legal process applicable to them. My answer to the last one, to all Blackwater employess, since you are unlawful combatants or mercenaries, driven by greed (Well, you could always join the army, of course, you would not be paid as much [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ), I think you should be treated similarly. I fail to see why you should not except than Guantanamo Bay is another legal aberration by the USA, thumbing its nose at international society. Whereas I have a lot of respect for the soldiers, and specially those who lose their lifes , mercenaries do not move my heart one bit.