Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: San Fransisco bans Plastic bags from Grocery stores

Wow. I can't believe so many people think this is a bad idea.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just a crazy person that doesn't think the city should be able to [censored] with private business.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are getting a little extreme here. First of all ,yes the city SHOULD be able to "mess" with private buisness. This is a good thing. I'm stretching here but should a buisness be allowed to dump toxic waste in your parks? Should the city step in when a restaurant is serving rotten dog meat? I think yes.

I do not agree that the cost should be places on the businesses though ..but it dosn't have to. Simply charge the customer for these costly more "green" bags. If the customer dosn't want to pay then they can bring their own bags/boxes.

Side note - Politics aside, if you don't think trying to minimize creation of plastic bags is a good thing then you are ignorant at best.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should the city step in when a restaurant is serving rotten dog meat?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I want to eat rotten dogmeat soup, who are you to stop me?

natedogg
Old 11-28-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just a crazy person that doesn't think the city should be able to [censored] with private business.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are getting a little extreme here. First of all ,yes the city SHOULD be able to "mess" with private buisness. This is a good thing. I'm stretching here but should a buisness be allowed to dump toxic waste in your parks? Should the city step in when a restaurant is serving rotten dog meat? I think yes.

I do not agree that the cost should be places on the businesses though ..but it dosn't have to. Simply charge the customer for these costly more "green" bags. If the customer dosn't want to pay then they can bring their own bags/boxes.

Side note - Politics aside, if you don't think trying to minimize creation of plastic bags is a good thing then you are ignorant at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a real tour de force.

1) imposition of personal subjective preferences gogogogo

2) magic handwaving away the costs

3) if you don't agree then (insert ad hominem of choice)
Old 11-30-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the market would take care of any restaurant serving rotten dog meat. Does not sound like a successful business practice to me.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I'm not an ACist. I'm just a crazy person that doesn't think the city should be able to [censored] with private business.

[/ QUOTE ]
See also every other law. No murder? You're messing with my hitman private practice. No poker? What about my bankroll? No prostitution? But what will mom do now?

If you're not an anarchist, then chances are you really do want to mess with private business to some degree. You just draw the line somewhere different than the folks of the fine city of San Francisco do.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See also every other law. No murder? You're messing with my hitman private practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a valid argument. "Private business" means trade of goods and services. You can have business and exclude violence.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I'm not an ACist. I'm just a crazy person that doesn't think the city should be able to [censored] with private business.

[/ QUOTE ]
See also every other law. No murder? You're messing with my hitman private practice. No poker? What about my bankroll? No prostitution? But what will mom do now?

[/ QUOTE ]

One of these is not like the others...
Old 11-28-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Conservatives simply like to micro-manage other peoples' lives -- no surprise... Government says to use "religion X" morals, you use "religion X." Maybe it's easier for some people to live that way -- I don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hippies don't have a monopoly on dumb legislation micro-managing your life. Does it get any more stupid than conservatives outlawing certain kinds of sex between consensual adults?

I'm glad to see a couple AC'ists break from the fundamentalist ranks and admit that in the real world this is pretty much a non-issue if you don't live in SF.

[/ QUOTE ]
Such laws are also obviously absurd. Thankfully, there are essentially no conservatives pushing this kind of "missionary position only" type of life micromanagement for a long time now. The hippies take the cake for life micromanagement, these days (not to say that conservatives don't do other annoying crap).
Old 11-30-2007, 12:53 AM

I bought the reusable cloth bags, but I'm a SF hippie [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]