Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Online Poker Article

Politico Article

Not to harp on what Mason brings up here regarding transparency, but the opposition is apparently going to use this against us.

"There is the anonymity angle. You just do not know where the money is going. McClasky also questions where PPA obtains its funding, suggesting it could be obtained through impure practices."
Old 11-07-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Online Poker Article

Thanks for posting this. This should be required reading for everyone here.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:02 PM

Let's post some comments.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:36 PM

I posed this question in the 'Let me introduce myself' thread and didn't get a response:

How can we get our hands on a copy of the PPA's form 990 for the most recent year?

For those not in the know, the PPA is a 501 (c)(3) non profit organization (the 501 (c)(3) referring to the section of the code under which it is organized), which is required to prepare and submit a 'Form 990' annually. This form is essentially the tax return of the organization and, among a range of financial information, includes sources of funding. These are supposed to be publicly available documents (in unusual circumstances, organizations may be able to obtain exemption from having to make these public).

There are a number of websites that allow you to search for charitable organizations and obtain their Form 990's (or Forms 990, excuse my grammar). I'm in the accounting profession and despite the tools at my disposal to find such information, I can't.

I'm sure having this would (or should) put to bed the issue of where the PPA's funding comes from and goes to.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:45 PM

Wow. An article that seems on its face to be fairly neutral. Nice find bro.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I posed this question in the 'Let me introduce myself' thread and didn't get a response:

How can we get our hands on a copy of the PPA's form 990 for the most recent year?

For those not in the know, the PPA is a 501 (c)(3) non profit organization (the 501 (c)(3) referring to the section of the code under which it is organized), which is required to prepare and submit a 'Form 990' annually. This form is essentially the tax return of the organization and, among a range of financial information, includes sources of funding. These are supposed to be publicly available documents (in unusual circumstances, organizations may be able to obtain exemption from having to make these public).

There are a number of websites that allow you to search for charitable organizations and obtain their Form 990's (or Forms 990, excuse my grammar). I'm in the accounting profession and despite the tools at my disposal to find such information, I can't.

I'm sure having this would (or should) put to bed the issue of where the PPA's funding comes from and goes to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll ask.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:23 PM

There is no way that the PPA could be a 501(c)(3) with its activities. Lobbying efforts alone would pretty much finish that possibility. They are a 501(c)(4) membership organization.

I found their 2005 Form 990 from their website here:
http://www.pokerplayersalliance.org/...5Public990.pdf

It should be noted that their 2006 form was probably extended and would be due on the 15th of this month.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Greenberg law firm has to go, cut to the chase and back Wexler Bill

Good third party article on the players as seen in DC.

It is unclear whether the Greenberg law firm is counsel to the PPA or serves on the Board. However, either way, they have to be cut loose. (I am not knocking their abilities or past service, just stating that their legacy from Abramoff makes them too hot politically to retain.)

Again, also, so long as the PPA is tied to the Frank Bill, it will draw fire from the NFL. The NFL is an essential part of the opposition in this endeavor because it sees the "evil" of sportsbetting, clearly it is time to cut ties between the PPA and "perceived threat" of sports betting allowed under the Frank Bill. (The "opt-out" language of the Frank Bill for the NFL likely is not enough to blunt their opposition, so try something else .... like pushing a POKER bill like the Wexler Bill.)

It is less likely to draw NFL fire if it pushed the Wexler Bill, and may even be more likely to get allies among the "skill-game" crowd.

Just my view,

Milton
Old 11-07-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Greenberg law firm has to go, cut to the chase and back Wexler Bill

[ QUOTE ]
Again, also, so long as the PPA is tied to the Frank Bill, it will draw fire from the NFL. The NFL is an essential part of the opposition in this endeavor because it sees the "evil" of sportsbetting, clearly it is time to cut ties between the PPA and "perceived threat" of sports betting allowed under the Frank Bill. (The "opt-out" language of the Frank Bill for the NFL likely is not enough to blunt their opposition, so try something else .... like pushing a POKER bill like the Wexler Bill.)

It is less likely to draw NFL fire if it pushed the Wexler Bill, and may even be more likely to get allies among the "skill-game" crowd.

Just my view,

Milton

[/ QUOTE ]

PPA is pushing the Wexler bill very strongly. They are also working on the issue with the NFL.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Greenberg law firm has to go, cut to the chase and back Wexler Bil

One of the better neutral articles I have read.

My sense in reading the article that the sports leagues are a bigger obstacle to us than Focus on the Family. I posted an article a month back that FOF is laying people off due to rising health care costs and a shortfall in donations. I think we could put up a good fight against FOF, but the sports leagues have unlimited resources and no way we can be bigger, faster, stronger than they are. I also don't see us making enough noise to concern them. Heck they cater to corporate America nowadays anyhow.

I really hope the religious right wing continues to suffer losses.