Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Help with my new 30in

So I just bought a new Dell 3007 WFP. And then I promptly spent 4 hours dealing with Dell support. Im ready to cut my eyes out with a butter knife.

Anywho, my problem: I have an Inspiron 531S Slim Tower. My gfx card is a 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro. However, the version of the vid card that I was given is specifically made for the Dell Slim Tower series; the port protruding from my comp is not a DVI and it is not a vga.

With my computer came two cord adapters for the port on my computer, one for vga (which i was previously using to run two dell monitors) and a dvi.

I currently have the 30in running, using the adapter cord to the dvi cable to the monitor. My problem is the max resolution Im being offered is 1280x800. I have downloaded the most recent updates, drivers, etc for both the monitor and my vid card.

I'm under the impression that I have to get a new video card. Does anyone know of a video card with a dvi port that will fit in the dell slim tower? Dell had absolutely no clue (about anything).

Any question I will be more than happy to answer. I know I'm not the best at explaining this kinda thing. Thanks for any help.

Also, I was previously running a monitor at 1600x1200 but I used the adapter => vga cord => monitor. i have never used the dvi cable before.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Help with my new 30in-- Possible $50(or more) reward :)

Well you probably won't be able to run 2560x1600 with that card even though an x1300 should support dual-link dvi. I think i know what kind of adapter you're talking about. Does the plug kind of look like USB? Dell's site doesn't have a manual for that computer so I can't find any info about the motherboard other than it has PCIe x16 and x1 slots. Post the service tag so I can take a look at the specs (or PM it to me if you would rather not post it)

Something like this will work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161197
Old 11-02-2007, 12:35 AM

You definitely should have spoken to someone before buying the 30 inch with your current setup. I'm pretty sure your not going to be able to get it to run max resolution.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You definitely should have spoken to someone before buying the 30 inch with your current setup. I'm pretty sure your not going to be able to get it to run max resolution.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will definitely run max resolution with a new video card. And possibly, though doubtful, with his current setup.

Let this be a lesson to you all. Never ever ever buy a slim tower PC. Saving 0.5 cubic feet of space is not worth it...ever.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i spoke with 3 different dell "technicians" and was told by all 3 that i could run it 100%. im about as unhappy with dell as ive ever been with a company.

(not to mention that i didnt even know i was purchasing a "slim" computer. i wasnt using it for gaming so didnt choose one of the XPS models. i asked for top of the line everything, etc. so this is extremely frustrating. the computer is only 2 months old, however, so ill see what i can do.)
Old 11-02-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It will definitely run max resolution with a new video card. And possibly, though doubtful, with his current setup.

Let this be a lesson to you all. Never ever ever buy a slim tower PC. Saving 0.5 cubic feet of space is not worth it...ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like an idiot, but I had no idea that I was getting a slim computer. I just reviewed my order and no where does it say I chose a slim tower. I was surprised when I got it.

im afraid that even a low profile card wont fit in the dell slim. its only about 5" wide and looking at the ports i have i dont see how it could fit. my single port+ s-video take up about the entire width.

any other ideas? id be willing to run this something even below 2560x1600 for a while. but 1280x800 is killing me.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like an idiot, but I had no idea that I was getting a slim computer. I just reviewed my order and no where does it say I chose a slim tower. I was surprised when I got it.

im afraid that even a low profile card wont fit in the dell slim. its only about 5" wide and looking at the ports i have i dont see how it could fit. my single port+ s-video take up about the entire width.

any other ideas? id be willing to run this something even below 2560x1600 for a while. but 1280x800 is killing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

low profile doesn't work. you need slimline. i got one of those slim dells and needed dual DVI so i got a slimline card that had a single port that split to dual-dvi. doubt it was dual-link dvi but I'll ask my employee which one it was tomorrow and check
Old 11-02-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

low profile doesn't work. you need slimline. i got one of those slim dells and needed dual DVI so i got a slimline card that had a single port that split to dual-dvi. doubt it was dual-link dvi but I'll ask my employee which one it was tomorrow and check

[/ QUOTE ]

that would be so awesome, thanks.

im mildly curious if anyone has any idea what type of port i have with this gfx card. it is neither a dvi or vga, it looks like a strange hybrid.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:31 PM

Take a picture?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:54 PM

sry quality sucks.