FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: Kinda OT: How to teach a total novice poker

[ QUOTE ]
Tell him

"Don't do it, life is worth living"

and walk away

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow I doubt he will drop out of college, dump his girlfriend, and start 20 tabling .01/.02 in the dark all night long once he learns the basics.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:17 AM

I think i'd get him to read HOH1 and theory of poker. I'd probably start out by teaching him how to be a nit get him abc and tight enough to beat the low stakes games or w/e and then once he starts getting some experience start teaching him more theory/concepts/how to open up/etc.

edit: by all this i mean teach him to play tight (not stack off too light) and value bet and the rest will come together.

Also, I'm sure card runners is something that would help a lot that he can do on his own time.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ansky, I don't think you realize how hard this is going to be

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I've talked to you about poker before.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously you're qualified. obviously you are smart enough to put together a schedule or a plan to teach him.

i'm just not sure if you realize the magnitude of the "levels" of poker. even if condensed into a short time frame and by a great teacher, it will be so difficult to get him even decent in a short amount of time. just the intracacies of feel... they take so long.

i'm sure that you played a lot of .25-.50 with your friends with 10 or 20 dollar buy ins, or 5 dollar tournaments, whatever, where you learned the basics and somewhat learned from your mistakes (even if you made up your own bs reasoning like we all did). but honestly, there are SO many levels that you have to go back to teach correctly.

it's just hard, think of the 1m+ hands you have played in your lifetime, it just takes a long time to put the "layers" on, and even if you teach him individual concepts the application and intertwining of them will be ridiculous.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:31 AM

I think he's got a lot to do before he can consider TOP or cardrunners.

Have fun with it, watch him play, have him talk through the hands he's playing so you know he's thinking about (the right) things and making a plan as he goes along.

If you know what site you'll teach him on, maybe suggest he plays some freerolls/play money sngs and stuff between now and the start of school just so he gets a hang of the software/notices some of the technicalities of the game (blinds, have to raise min the amount bet, sidepots, bla bla bla).
Old 08-06-2007, 01:47 AM

agreed with aejones, this will suck balls
Old 08-06-2007, 01:52 AM

I've tried to teach a lot of people poker. I really suggest sngs to start. They are simple, have a lower number of variables and he can even start to grasp ICM and ranges. I taught my sophomore year roomate, and he went from losing at the 5s to beating the 55s in 3 months.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tell him

"Don't do it, life is worth living"

and walk away

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow I doubt he will drop out of college, dump his girlfriend, and start 20 tabling .01/.02 in the dark all night long once he learns the basics.

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends on his characteristics.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ansky, I don't think you realize how hard this is going to be

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I've talked to you about poker before.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously you're qualified. obviously you are smart enough to put together a schedule or a plan to teach him.

i'm just not sure if you realize the magnitude of the "levels" of poker. even if condensed into a short time frame and by a great teacher, it will be so difficult to get him even decent in a short amount of time. just the intracacies of feel... they take so long.

i'm sure that you played a lot of .25-.50 with your friends with 10 or 20 dollar buy ins, or 5 dollar tournaments, whatever, where you learned the basics and somewhat learned from your mistakes (even if you made up your own bs reasoning like we all did). but honestly, there are SO many levels that you have to go back to teach correctly.

it's just hard, think of the 1m+ hands you have played in your lifetime, it just takes a long time to put the "layers" on, and even if you teach him individual concepts the application and intertwining of them will be ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was a joke i was comparing you to someone who doesnt kno the rules.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:58 AM

1) Teach them basics
2) Get them to read small-stakes hold'em
3) Have them watch you play, talk about why you do things
4) Talk about your reasoning and logic behind general things early, make sure they get the general goals of the game before they have played much
5) If you don't value your time much, watch them play and critique
Old 08-06-2007, 02:02 AM

+limit is the better place to start

you do simplify it a bit. he needs to learn to make rudimentary reads, read the board to know what he has and what he could be up against.

+I agree, start with low stakes but I wouldn't go to .01/.02 because I think you might not see rational play there. I would suggest .25/.50.

+maybe have him read Lee Jones' book on low limit hold em.