Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 01-08-2007, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Draw and 2-7 SNGs now available at PokerStars

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

P.S. I prefer limit donkaments. Insert spirited defense of limit here!

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but can I ask why? Maybe there's a facet that I'm missing. The thing I don't like about limit tournaments is that getting a good hand early is less valuable than it is later. This is true also in NL/PL, but to a smaller margin.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that limit tournaments better reward consistent play. You have to play lots of hands to advance instead of waiting for double-up situations. (Maybe I'm just an action junkie.)

Limit tournaments also generally allow more play before stack size becomes a crucial issue. Most NL tournaments are chronically short-stacked compared to their cash game equivalents. So although many of the same tournament considerations apply, you get to play the "real" game instead of a short-stacked version. (This of course doesn't apply to a deep-stack NL event.) Even when stacks get short there is usually room for more than a push-or-fold strategy.

The ability to go all-in also negates some of the skilled player's advantage over other players. Once there are no more decisions to be made, your opponent cannot make any further mistakes. (Except in draw, of course, but in TD the opponent also gets the equity from draws he normally wouldn't make--- like seeing all 5 cards in HE.) You can't Kill Phil in limit.

Finally, limit gives the skilled player more play. He can't stack an opponent, sure, but neither is he out of the tournament after getting all the money in as a 90/10 favorite and catching a disastrous river card.

(It may well be the case that NL/PL is actually more worthwhile for a professional player, but as a recreational player I prefer more play and think that I do better in that sort of environment.)
Old 01-08-2007, 02:06 PM

I also prefer limit SnGs (holdem, stud, omaha, whatever). For the reasons Mark said and also because, frankly, the competition generally is really really bad. Most of the time, half the field in these things are in a race to get all their chips in the middle to try to outbluff/outdraw each other.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I won my first 5 dollar draw SNG!

I got second in my first 1 dollar draw SNG [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

TDL for $5, PL 5CD for $1.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:19 AM

i won my first PL draw escapade, even tho i mostly play limit cash draw...prob should get into PL more if stars is gonna make tourneya outta them
Old 01-09-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh [censored] that was my poohbah post [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a sign!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:53 PM

meh.. played one $5.5 2-7 SnG and took 2nd.. heads up all my 1 & 2 card draws missed and he just called down his 3 card draws and caught every time.. f'er lol... sweetest hand was when villain hit wheel on final draw drawing 2 against my pat 8-6.. yah yah I know.. BBV is ---> that way lol
Old 01-11-2007, 11:02 AM

ok I have now concluded that the worst poker players in the world are playing the $1.1 5CD SnG's

going into heads up villain had a 14-1 chiplead on me... then a few hands later this happened:

Tournament: Pot Limit 5 Card Draw (100/200) (converter)

SB (8620), Seat 4
Hero (380), Seat 1

SB posts 100. Hero posts 200.

Hero is BB with [4h Tc 2c Ks Jc]

Round 1: (300)

SB calls. Hero raises 160 to 360 (all-in). SB folds.

Pot: (400)

Thanks, I guess??

I went on to win the SnG