Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 07:26 AM

Default Are the Yankees done for the year?

I know it's still May, but wow, they have been playing like crap for a while now. Their pitching stinks, and now they can't hit either.

Again, I know it's early, but I can't see them catching Boston, and it's tough to imagine the 2nd place team in the Central not getting the wildcard.

Do the Yankees get the "DONE!" for the year? I would have to say yes.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Are the Yankees done for the year?

lol at they cant hit...cmon man if your gonna start a new NYY thread at least dont make silly statements in it.

fwiw, obviously the NYY are in trouble. they have dug an enormous hole and its not like they are chasing a weak team. before the season started the yankees were considered only a marginally better team than the red sox.

that being said, they are far from done as in about a month they could easily have the best team in the league again.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at they cant hit...cmon man if your gonna start a new NYY thread at least dont make silly statements in it.

fwiw, obviously the NYY are in trouble. they have dug an enormous hole and its not like they are chasing a weak team. before the season started the yankees were considered only a marginally better team than the red sox.

that being said, they are far from done as in about a month they could easily have the best team in the league again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said, "and now they can't hit either," meaning they're currently struggling on offense. Obviously I know they're a good hitting team. I just meant that at the moment even their only apparent strength is failing, along with everything else.

I'm a lifelong New Yorker, and I can't stand the Yankees. It's not so much that I hate the team and the players, it's more about the fans. Obviously Yankee fans are arrogant, and this in and of itself isn't that big of a deal to me. All fans of historically successful teams are going to feel proud, even if it's a team that dwarfs even the second richest team in payroll.

What bugs me about Yankee fans is how fickle they are. When Clemenes left for Houston, he was a "traitor." Now they're paying him $28 million. When A-Rod couldn't hit last year, people were calling for his head. Now he's God. Same exact thing with Giambi from 2005 to 2006. There is absolutely no sense of loyalty with these fans, and they clearly don't understand baseball that well. If they did, they'd understand that even the greatest players of all time can have off years, and it doesn't mean they aren't trying their hardest.

Anyways, back to the point of the thread. I think the Yanks are done. Torre will be gone-zo, Cashman SHOULD be (for Pavano, Igawa, and Clemens, among others). They'll probably bring in Bobby Valentine next year, making them an even less likable team than they are now.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:32 AM

o rly? fans are fickle? you could've fooled me.

how about those mets fans who booed carlos beltran for a year

yeah clemens was a huge mistake - fire cashman immediately. pavano wasn't even his idea - it's thought that the tampa contingent was behind that move
Old 05-20-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
o rly? fans are fickle? you could've fooled me.

how about those mets fans who booed carlos beltran for a year

yeah clemens was a huge mistake - fire cashman immediately. pavano wasn't even his idea - it's thought that the tampa contingent was behind that move

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like not blaming Bush for Iraq.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:20 AM

daryn has a higher IQ than you.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:23 AM

They are done.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:30 AM

trapsetter,
Please explain what is wrong with the Clemens move.
Yankees fans aren't any more or less fickle than most sports fans there are just more lots of yankees fans,
Old 05-20-2007, 11:31 AM

As much as I would like them to be, no, they probably aren't.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:35 AM

Fickle NYY Fans: That's just how we are and I love it! (except when Yanks fans get ridiculous with the A-Rod booing) I was at a Tampa Bay @ Yanks game when Lou still managed TB. Lou came out to argue a call and everyone in the stadium was chanting "eject him! eject him!"

The very next day was Yankee old timer day. Guess who got a standing ovation when he was introduced?