Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Dealing with a loss (stillbirth)

I am sorry for your loss I've never read anything on the internet to bring me to the point of tears until now. I am new father myself as of 6 months ago. I hate to take something out of this but this post made me go and hug my wife and kiss my daughter I always tell my wife we have no idea how good we have it. I believe you and your wife are strong it's been six weeks and you had the strength to write this post and I know you guys will fight through this I hope the best for you man.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:00 AM

Wow, that amazes me.

Not once in my pregnancy did the doctors bring up the possibility of stillbirth at 40 weeks. Went to 2 different OB/GYN's and was never mentioned. I delivered at just under 42 weeks, and thought "ohhh, she just needs to bake a little longer"... Never during the 2 weeks did they mention anything about possible complications. Nor was it mentioned in the magazines I read, the websites I was registered at, NOTHING!!!!

Thanks for educating me. Duly noted for the future.

Question: When a patient chooses to be induced at 39 weeks, have you ever had any complications with the baby's lungs or anything?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the saddest post ever written on 2+2. I cried uncontrollably.

I am extremely sorry for your loss.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2006, 02:24 AM

My wife is going to hit 39 weeks on Wednesday. The doctor will induce next weekend if the baby doesn't come by then.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine doing everything you did afterward if that happened to us.

I think I need to go to bed now and hug my wife.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My deepest sympathies

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2006, 02:40 AM

P,

its not the same thing, but my wife had a miscarriage the 1st time she was pregnant. My wife had a folder with "Peanut" (her name for the fetus) written on the front with all the information and ultrasound pictures and everything and its still in the same drawer we left it in when we found out there was no heartbeat. We can't or won't open it anymore.

you should know this: Allan Frederick Lerner for certain knew his parents loved him so much. i used to think this sort of talk was emotional fluff and just said to make people feel better, but i am a father now and now i know better. they don't know anything when their life begins, but loving their parents and knowing their parents love them is less something that is "known" and more of something that is just instinctively wired in.

i can say with unabashed honesty that i wasn't a kid guy before we had my son. truthfully, i didn't fully understand what i was getting into or why, but if you decide to try again (i don't know what medical things may be of issue) i'll tell you honestly that there isn't a joy that exists that fills you the same way your child does.

best of luck with everything to you & your spouse.
--oj.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2006, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Question: When a patient chooses to be induced at 39 weeks, have you ever had any complications with the baby's lungs or anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no neonatal complication for which there is a greater risk due to induction at 39 weeks vs. induction at any time later than 39 weeks. This includes respiratory distress syndrome and transient tachypnea of the newborn. No, I have never seen a complication of prematurity following an induction at 39 weeks.

Conversely, once you get past 40-41 weeks there is a greater risk for meconium stained fluid, abnormal fetal heart rate patterns, post-maturity syndrome, and cesarean section compared to induction at 39-40 weeks. Oh yes, and STILLBIRTH.

It is frustrating. Surprisingly, upon hearing of these potential risks and complications, many patients still opt for delaying delivery for fear of doing something "unnatural."

I think to myself (but never say out loud), "Stillbirth is natural. Nature sucks sometimes."

Irieguy
Old 10-17-2006, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This post made me cry. I'm so sorry for your loss.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-17-2006, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My deepest sympathies

[/ QUOTE ]

all the best for you and your wife in the future.