Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 11:45 AM

Default Poker and life

I am new to the twoplustwo forums but am anxious to see the wealth of knowledge that exists within the forum.

I have been playing poker for about 7 years now. I am 25 years old and was sneaking into AC card rooms to play 2-4 through 5-10 limit games. Then the rush of no limit players came and I was part of the rush. I never had a job and put myself through community college playing poker. About two years ago I was really on top of my game. I was winning cashing in almost every tourney I joined for a while. I was also taking money from the cash games even moreso.

I then remembered when everything changed. I was playing a 2-5 game. I had about $1700 in front of me (which was a lot for me at the time). I was running over this table. A player I know pretty well was at the table for this hand. I remember the hand like it was yesterday (well actually this story involves two hands). I was dealt 106 of hearts in late position. I was playing the bigstack so any hand works for me at that moment. An early tight player raised and another called (who was a donk) making it about 20 to go. I called as well and one out of the blind to the flop (i had position here). I flopped a flush draw and the original raiser bet about 30 dollars. The blind folded and three players remained. I hit my flush on the turn and called another $60 raise from the other player and three of us went to the river (me with position). The original raiser checked and the other player pushed all for $100 and I called quickly (I did not push because I could have run into the nuts and the other guy was very big stacked, he and I were the bigstacks him having me covered. Then to my suprise the man who checked came over the top all-in. There was about $500 in the pot at this point. This was $1200 call. I was killing myself over what to do there were only three flushes that had me beat. Did he have one? Why would he go all in there if he did not have the nuts. It would be an almost assanine play because I would get to see his hand. I came to this conclusion and folded the hand. He showed a set, and the other player showed a straight and this jackass didn't even win the hand and I folded the winner.

This play affected me alot for some reason. If I had not laid down that hand I would have had about 3 grand in front of me and would have def left the table. A few hands later I got involved with that guy in a large pot. I got dealt A6 of spades and the flop came AJ6. Him and I were the only players in the pot. He ended up making a large all in bet at the flop and I thought for a while. I now had a lot more information on him and was ready to get all of that money he cost me before. I knew that if he had 66 JJ or AA or AJ he would have raised , and he did not. After debating for a while about the biggest call of my life, I ended up calling him. He showed J6. The turn came queen and the river came JACK!!!! I felt like I was shot in the leg. This was the most painful beat I have ever taken. There was almost 3 grand in the pot. Why me? If I had only made the correct decision with that flush I would have 3 thousand + more to my name. For the next months I was playing without confidence and losing. I could not cash in tournaments and was running horrible. Nothing could go my way. I can deal with bad beats but not mistakes on my part.

Poker is just a sick game and especially for anyone who tries to survive from their winnings. It is difficult and if you can go get a job, do like I did. Get a job and make a hobby of playing poker. I still play poker every night and stay in AC every weekend. But I know that if you have a choice between playing cards for a living and getting a job, it is in your best interest to get a job and keep it as a hobby. I still play fairly high stakes limit and no limit (10-20 / 20-40 FL) (2-5 / 5-10 NL). I have been running pretty good but most importantly I have a great time at the poker table and I taught my girlfriend to play and she plays 5-10 now and is becoming a winning player. Life is great and so is Poker. I learned a valuable life lesson on that day (Leave the f'n table after you make a decision that is going to make you lose sleep for a few months).
Old 10-08-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Poker and life

tl;dr
Old 10-08-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anxious to see the wealth of knowledge that exists within the forum

[/ QUOTE ]

Stopped reading here.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:52 AM

the odds are about 2 to 1 fwiw
Old 10-08-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was dealt 106 of hearts in late position...An early tight player raised...I called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stopped reading here.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:58 AM

You should've won more monies in the "poker rush"