Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 06:35 PM

Default What is your motivation to make more money?

I was having this thought. I'm 23 next month. Most of my day is spent thinking about how to make more money or doing an activity to make money (online poker). Some might say how sad. But I enjoy many other things, sports, tv, family, friends. However, ultimately on my 30th birthday (myself and a friend set that target) to have a very nice house, be able to go on nice holidays, and never have to worry about money, and maybe, if I get fooled, get a wife (I do not find relationship appealing, I don't want my time or happiness dependent on another, anyway, leave that for another forum).

Just wondering what is your motivation? I guess it's becuase, as is often said, people relish the challenge of making more. Whether you have $0.1M, $1M, $10M or $100M, you always want to strive for more, it's what keeps the evolution process going.

Just wondering if anyone else here has general targets though i.e. what they want to do with their money. I can't see what else there is massively other than an incredible home(s). I guess have a very good relationship with the family, and the 'family home', a home you can stay in and love is incredibly important to me, and so I just want the coolest house I can get.

Would you say it is a measure of success? (I would, but only if you are happy at the same time, rich happy guy > poor happy guy > rich unhappy guy > poor unhappy guy)

Also, do you have a figure in mind? Personally I'd like at least a $2M house and probably another $1M in general savings/investments for holidays, kids, general security.
Once I reached that, I'm done.

Thoughts much appreciated, apologies if i've rambled.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: What is your motivation to make more money?

Because they said I couldn't.........
Old 06-11-2007, 08:09 PM

I don't have an infinite thirst for money. Give me enough to retire today and I'll stop playing poker. I think about how to make more money because I want to retire earlier.

Edit: $2-3 million in today's dollars should do it. Figure by the time I'm 40 I'll be good.

Edit2: I have no desire to buy a house. I use my money to live and travel.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:10 PM

Nothing wrong with having money as your primary ambition.

I enjoy doing things that push my limitations and potential to the extreme. Business helps me achieve this and the consequence of having a successful business is that I make money.

Do I have a figure in mind? Yes, I will try to build billion dollar businesses.

The monetary amount doesn't mean much to me. However; the value behind the service I must provide to become a billion dollar business is the true reason for having such a high monetary value.

What I eventually want to do with that money is actively change the entire educational system. I think our current educational system is decades behind our current world.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:57 PM

"Now I aint sayin she a gold digger,
But she aint messin wit no broke n*ggas."
Old 06-11-2007, 09:50 PM

got a mil on the deal and i'm still on the grind

in all seriousness, i've always hated the concept of working for the sole purpose of getting rich. while the job that i have is potentially lucrative in terms of early retirement, i think the main reason i chose it is because it offers so many opportunities in terms of learning experiences. my hope is that i'll find something i'll love doing, and have the opportunity to take it. that'll be success in my book.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:17 PM

Doug,

I'd think if you parlay your WSOP money + job money till you're 30 you'll easily be set for life.

Also, are you playing any events this year? GL if so - try and get some more TV time this year.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 PM

I want a huge house with rooms for any close friends and family to visit or stay with me as long as they want. The house needs to be on a lake with a couple sick boats.

I also love watching investments grow and enjoy adding to them.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Personally I'd like at least a $2M house and probably another $1M in general savings/investments for holidays, kids, general security. Once I reached that, I'm done.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense.

eastbay
Old 06-11-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have an infinite thirst for money. Give me enough to retire today and I'll stop playing poker. I think about how to make more money because I want to retire earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are my thoughts exactly. Although, unlike TheMetertron, I am using my money to buy a house. In fact, all I want to do is retire on a lake house. As soon as I have enough money to comfortably retire at a lake-house, I consider myself set for life and will not worry about working ever again.