Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 10:16 PM

Default UTG limp-reraise in position.

No reads/stats on anyone. Note: I hardly, if ever, see people limp-reraise with AA/KK at these limits at this site (I was playing $1/2 here but had to cash off my BR to pay for rent so I'm grinding my way back up, so annoying). I figured the raiser probably had some suited connector hand to play multiway and obv has position on me. I figured the turn-raiser also didn't figure the UTG raiser for a big hand and thus didn't need a strong hand on the turn to raise with (also, he might get me to fold a better ace).

Just wondering: do you raise PF in this situation? Is this standard at all? Does my reasoning make sense?

Comments/criticism on each street would be nice.

Pacific Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 2 folds, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7SB, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5BB, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (10BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 12BB
Old 05-22-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Re: UTG limp-reraise in position.

i would c/r the flop. UTG only has you beaten with one hand combo and button is padding it up. fold the turn as played dude.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:08 AM

Okay, thanks.

The thing I don't like about c/r on these flops is that usually UTG will cbet and if BTN calls, then hardly ever will I get anyone out of this flop (regardless of their hands) since they've already called one bet (nobody in this situation has to coldcall 2 bets). It would be different if the button was the last preflop raiser (then a c/r on this flop would leave UTG facing a cold call of 2 bets).

Maybe checkraises are more respected at the sites/limits you play at but at Pacific (even $1/2) people will almost always call a c/r in this situation (except for when it's 2 back to someone).

Also, assuming that one or (probably) two of them call the flop c/r, then what is my turn line? If I bet and get called by one (or two) do I c/f, c/c, b/f the river?

Looking back on the hand, is b/f &gt; c/c on this FD river?

What about PF? How do you normally play this?
Old 05-23-2007, 02:15 AM

doesnt matter if they call. when they call that means you win money. why do you want folds here? button can have QdJ when he calls the first flop bet
Old 05-23-2007, 04:03 AM

i wouldnt' raise preflop here. as miles said, c'r the flop is the win for me.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:57 AM

Okay, makes sense. I guess after c/r and calls I should lead the turn, right? What if raised here? If a diamond falls on the turn or river, should I b/f?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, assuming that one or (probably) two of them call the flop c/r, then what is my turn line? If I bet and get called by one (or two) do I c/f, c/c, b/f the river?

Looking back on the hand, is b/f &gt; c/c on this FD river?

What about PF? How do you normally play this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, after check-raising, you lead the turn.

As played, you should absolutely fold the turn. Calling two cold here is an expensive proposition.

Since you called the turn, I guess calling the river as well is ok. By calling the turn, you basically assume that the turn raise is a bluff. If it was, calling the river seems natural. But as I said, fold the turn.

Pf I don't raise here unless the limpers are wery loose. A9s is strong but not terrific, and you'll be playing out of position.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:13 AM

Preflop I just check. i dont think A9s is strong enough to raise 2 limpers here. Maybe 1 limper who is weak I raise. On the flop I like the check raise and then lead the turn. If then it was 2 bets back to you I would fold other wise I would call down if raised.

As played I think calling 2 on the turn is marginal but OK because by playing flop passively you never announced that you have an ace. If you played the flop more aggressively you would have a much better Idea of where you stood on the turn.