Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Can you check this hand for me?

I was playing a home game last night and the following hand came up...

It was a loose game with 5 players.

I was on the button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Action was

blinds 25/50

UTG - fold
1 - call
2 - call
HERO - raise 150
sb - fold
bb - fold
1 - reraise 300
2 - fold
Hero - Call

(I called because this player had been reraising with ANY hand)

Flop came

K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

giving me a set, but a flush flop.

villain makes it 200

My read was he didn't have the flush, I'm on 1000 chips and I push hoping to drive him away

He calls and turns over

K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] !

turn comes J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

River 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

So my question is should I have just folded preflop against his raise?

Or should I have been more cautious with the flop that came and have called to see what the turn gave me?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Dan

I hope this post is ok - its my first one here!
Old 07-26-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Can you check this hand for me?

[ QUOTE ]
(I called because this player had been reraising with ANY hand)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

So my question is should I have just folded preflop against his raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, thanks for the morning laugh.

If he's a complete donkey, why didn't you push back PF?

BTW, that flop board sucks. I think you are in for some variance if you push on a three flush flop. You are MOST definately ahead..... but not by much.

The problem is.... if you played this hand ten thousand times, would you be ahead of a donk $$$-wise when all is said and done? Remember, he won't call many pushes....but PROBABLY will with a diamond because that's what donkeys do.

It may be bad advice, but I would call the flop bet and fold this turn. I'd like a better spot to risk my stack against a donkey. (Rainbow the board and I'm all over a push)
Old 07-26-2007, 09:20 AM

I normally play pocket pairs 66 and lower strictly for set value, but I could just be a nit. Stack sizes would be helpful in this situation but I see you have about 1300 at the start of the hand.

So I would normally limp in for as cheap as possible because you are most likely going to get paid off anyways if you do hit.

He might be reraising with trash a lot, but with your low pocket pair you are still only 55% at best preflop if he has two overcards.

I don't mind the way you played the flop. I usually don't give villain credit for a flopped flush either. If he has a diamond then he's going to win this about 36% of the time so you got your money in when you were ahead which is all that you can do.

EDIT: He's actually less than 36% because of the times that you'll pair the board giving you a fullhouse.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:47 AM

It's only another 150 into what is now 550. Although it's 8-1 to flop a set, you do have position and a good read that villain's a LAGtard. Still, if he is a LAGtard, you can probably bet that he's going to spew some chips post-flop. This may give you the implied odds you need to call, but how are you going to handle this with only 1K left and needing to flop a set to be almost certain you're ahead? A tricky situation. IMO, it's either you trust your read and re-raise all-in or fold. If you let villain see a flop, either his trash could easily tank your hand or almost any flop will look like he could have caught an overpair. If he checks to you post-flop, a good probe bet will cost you at least a third of your stack to find out. Moreover, the rule of 5 and 10 says fold, which, I think, confirms my analysis. You either go with it all the way, or fold - you cannot just call here.

No way I'm folding if I hit that flop. You got your chips in the middle with the best hand. That's poker.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:07 AM

you played that fine. you would win in that spot the majority of the time.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:29 PM

I thought i'd run this through Pokerstove for those interested (I knew it was about 70/30 but I wanted to see for myself). Results below!

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

17,189,793 games 8.844 secs 1,943,667 games/sec

Board: Kd 5d Td
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 69.887% 69.91% 00.00% 12018219 0.00 { 5c5h }
Hand 1: 30.113% 30.13% 00.00% 5178628 0.00 { Kc8d }

---
Old 07-26-2007, 02:15 PM

I would have raised more on the flop or just called. That's a feel thing that only you can know by playing in this game.

As played, you can't be unhappy getting all your chips in with the best hand. That's our goal every pot.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:28 AM

I think u did everything perfect preflop by not committing yourself with your enitial raise, and knowing your opp. style. pluse the donk only min-raised. waiting till the turn would have only made your decision harder. pushing the flop was correct but u had to know he was gona call....cuz donks think, oh only 800 more, k i call. lucky would have been him folding. just remeber that fishes get lucky too.