Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2006, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Poker as a part-time occupation during college

nice brag post.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I started play $3-$6 because my friend, who taught me to play, told me that was the best place to start.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think your ready to make part time income until you can answer these types of questions for yourself.

GL and I really hope you make loads of loot. I think you have some work to do before the money comes in on a consistant basis.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:31 AM

Its funny how so many people think they know everything about poker since poker exploded in 2003. I honestly wish I hadn't made this post. I don't think it came off the way I intended. I'm not an idiot. I know how to play poker in all its variations. But, everyone starts somewhere, and yes, when I was just learning, my friend who taught me the basics, told me to start with $3/$6. Perhaps I should have left my "accomplishments" in the game out of it and just asked the question, but I thought it might be helpful to know what I had done to this point. My true intention was to find out how most people started out and how they advanced and when they decided to move up in limits. I just want to go about this in the most responsible and affective manner possible. That aside, I was told this forum was a good place to get valuable advice and so far most has been condescending and borderline arrogant. So please just disregard my original post and maybe I'll try again when I have a question worth of your great poker minds. Good luck!
Old 09-24-2006, 02:49 AM

People here tend to be harsh when noobies talk about how good they are and then ask questions about if playing poker is a good way to make money while in school. Just lay off the brag posts uness you are in BBV.

As for your question, if you can win at the limits you talk about, then it shouldn't be too hard to make enough money to support the typical college student without putting in more than 10-15 hrs/wk
Old 09-24-2006, 07:05 AM

Don't get offended. I think most of the replies you've received have been decent. It's just that people are quick to remind about variance and about the nature of poker in the beginners forum. And to be honest, it didn't quite come clear in your original post that you understand variance etc.

What comes to your actual question, it's really hard to give any accurate advice. "How most people started out?" By playing at the limits they have roll for and where they feel comfortable at. "When would be a good time to move up?" When you feel you're beating the limit you're playing at now and when you have a bankroll to play at a bigger limit.

You should read some of the posts here in the beginners forum which are about one player's progress as a poker player. Even though they start usually from a complete newbie phase and you're an established player already they should still be a good read and should answer some of the question you've imposed.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:35 AM

Here is a good place to start...

If you like NL, go to the appropriate forum (micro/ss/etc) or if limit is your deal (small stakes, medium stakes etc) and start with the FAQ for the board.

Play a bunch of hands. Read the hands that are posted on the board your hooked onto. Ask questions because nobody knows it all and getting questions answered is a great way to learn while away from the table.

Lastly, post hands on the board you chose.

GL, you will get there.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:20 PM

Thanks. Thats what I'm looking for.