Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Two Tables, Two Limits?

I've been toying with the idea of raising the stakes of my 25/50c NL game, but I know that will drive away some of our better donators. At the same time, some other players seem itchy for higher stakes (myself included). We usually have at least two tables, so I was wondering how feasible it would be to switch one to 50c/$1.

Anybody try anything like this? How do you handle people moving tables, considering they'll have separate buyin levels? What if they go back and forth?

Outside of that, will all the sharks be biting after each other on the higher table? Is that a game worth playing, or is good money being a big fish (so to speak) in a smaller pond?

Currently the 25/50c has a $20-$40 buyin ($60 later on). I would make the 50c/$1 a $40-$100 buyin. Suggestions on how to run this smoothly (or stories of your own experiences) welcome.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Two Tables, Two Limits?

Would simply raising the buyin and leaving the blinds where they are scare the donators away as well? Might be a good middle ground, and a bigger advantage to the better players (get to play with deeper stacks).
Old 08-21-2007, 09:57 AM

I must be blessed; every homegame I read about here has like a 50-100bbs buy-in, but in mine, all of my fishy poker friends buy in for 200bbs, always. (and will rebuy for the same amount several times during a night).
Old 08-21-2007, 11:06 AM

A few ideas

1. Play deeper - raise your cap on your existing game to max at 100 big bets ($50 for your .25/.50 game). And I guess leave the min at $20. I know you probably do this later in the game as the stacks get deeper, but perhaps try it to begin with? I suspect this will encourage more action earlier and thus become a higher game than normal. In the end, you should have quite a bit more money on the table.

2. Advertise a "once a month" higher stake game at the limit specified (.5/1) with a standard cap (100bb). I think if you make this feel like a "special" event, the feeders will be tempted to take a shot.

3. Experiment with two tables and two limits as you mentioned, however it may dilute your game overall, and make it more difficult to run. If enough players show for the 'standard' game, you could simply say - does anyone want to play higher an hour or so in and split the tables accordingly?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:48 PM

Not exactly sure what you want to achieve buy increasing the blinds - bigger pots? Alter peoples playing style? Make more money?

I think you might be correct that the sharks might move to the bigger game so that leaves the smaller game even juicier. The better "donators" will stay at he .25/.50 level. If the sharks are smart they'll realize what has happened and return to the better feeding ground rather quickly.

You might try increasing the initial buy in level so the stacks are deeper. Try 100-150 bb's max for starters. Could you also raise the minimum? (say to $40)

You could decide at some point during the night that the blinds increase automatically. Say you typically play from 7pm to 2am. At 11pm blinds will raise from .25/.50 to .50/1.00

Float the idea of two levels with a poll / question in your invite as to what level the players anticipate playing at. This gives you an idea where everyone stands and you can adjust from there. Kind of like how a politician makes up his mind.

I like the previous mentioned idea of making a "special" night / game at the higher level. If nothing else it's worth a one time shot to see who turns out.

My only experience with something like this is playing NL with a cap and as the eveneing went on raising the cap. This is very similiar to what you already do by increasing the max buy in from $40 to $60.

Good Luck
Old 08-21-2007, 01:07 PM

Thanks for feedback everybody...

[ QUOTE ]
Not exactly sure what you want to achieve buy increasing the blinds - bigger pots? Alter peoples playing style? Make more money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes to the first, indifferent to the second, yes to the third. I want to play deeper stack poker, but I also don't want to force people to go broke too quickly. The $20-$40 buyin 25/50c game seems a very accessible price point for a lot of people. They can spend a couple of hundred without realizing it. However, knock 'em down $100 a pop and they may dry up.

I think running two different tables may be too confusing for folks, and will cause headaches and arguments if people want to switch tables. I like the idea of just having the higher limit as a special night. I think I'll do that after my next tourney.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think running two different tables may be too confusing for folks, and will cause headaches and arguments if people want to switch tables. I like the idea of just having the higher limit as a special night. I think I'll do that after my next tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why CAN'T they switch tables? Just don't let a lot of back-n-forth ratholing.

Your idea could work, though it doesn't give Mr Big Winner at cheapie table a chance to take a shot at the Big Shot table.

Another idea- different games, or higher-limit limit game and cheapy NL game concurrently.