Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 05:09 AM

Default K-Q-J Not A Good Hand, Sir

Bizarre situation tonight in the 5/10nl at Venetian. I raise a straddle pot to 110 and get one caller. Flop comes QJx, check/check. Turn is an ace, check/check. River is a brick, he checks, I bet 200 and now he springs to life and raises another 300... eh whatever I call w/ AK.

He flips up K-Q-J. He has three cards. FLOOR!

Floor rules that there has been too much action for a misdeal (duhhhhhhhh) and his hand is dead. The guy flips out saying it's not his fault he was dealt three cards, and that he will leave if he does not get his money back. Which is a problem because he is a huge donk.

The dealer had pulled in the 200's from the river but his 300 raise and my call were still in front of us, so the floor says something to the effect of "you can ask the other player to refund your 300" and he looks at me and I oblige since I'm a nice guy. Dude thanks me and ends up staying and it becomes a running joke for the rest of the night as everyone checks to make sure they only have 2 cards when they are in a pot.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] live poker.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:40 AM

Default Re: K-Q-J Not A Good Hand, Sir

It was not his fault that he got three but it was his fault he played all the way to the river with them! That's funny though. Was he serious about playing three cards or did he just think it would be a joke at the showdown? Surely he was not serious at a 5/10.

Hope the rest of the table thanked you later for keeping him around.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer had pulled in the 200's from the river but his 300 raise and my call were still in front of us, so the floor says something to the effect of "you can ask the other player to refund your 300"

[/ QUOTE ]

that seems like a pretty [censored] thing for him to say
Old 07-14-2007, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bizarre situation tonight in the 5/10nl at Venetian. I raise a straddle pot to 110 and get one caller. Flop comes QJx, check/check. Turn is an ace, check/check. River is a brick, he checks, I bet 200 and now he springs to life and raises another 300... eh whatever I call w/ AK.

Floor rules that there has been too much action for a misdeal (duhhhhhhhh) and his hand is dead. The guy flips out saying it's not his fault he was dealt three cards, and that he will leave if he does not get his money back. Which is a problem because he is a huge donk.

The dealer had pulled in the 200's from the river but his 300 raise and my call were still in front of us, so the floor says something to the effect of "you can ask the other player to refund your 300" and he looks at me and I oblige since I'm a nice guy. Dude thanks me and ends up staying and it becomes a running joke for the rest of the night as everyone checks to make sure they only have 2 cards when they are in a pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

PokerFink--

Wow. I've given back a lot of chips in my day but I wouldn't have given those. You gave him a freeroll--if you'd folded, the situation might not have been discovered.

I very much understand that sometimes you'll want to keep bad players in the game, but I think a quick explanation is all you should give here. Giving him $300 doesn't make sense either justice-wise or financially (the difference to you between him and the next guy on the list is rarely $300). Whether he meant to or not, he took a shot at you with an illegal hand. Various poker/sports/etc. analogies are too obvious to state.

Also, I've frequently seen floors do similar passive-aggressive things. They're almost always terrible and usually serve to unfairly displace social pressure onto a player.* If we're lucky RR will chime in with his thoughts on these sorts of situations.

--Nate

*One that I remember vividly was when a floorperson gave a bad ruling at a final table of a big Caesars tournament (gave a shortish-stacked Scott Fischman an F-bomb penalty for something he said quietly, to another player, before cards were in the air, at the end of a break). "Well, I have to give the penalty, but if the rest of you want to play slow that's up to you."
Old 07-14-2007, 06:42 AM

Although I'm usually a nice guy at the table and willing to forgive action or split pots in the face of bizarre circumstances or numbskull actions on the part of my opponent, this clown tried to c/r you off of what he assumed wasn't a great hand. If you had folded, he never would have had to show his three cards.

Unless it was obvious that he didn't know he had three cards (e.g. two of the cards were clearly stuck together when he showed them), I would have kept his money, even if it would have caused him to leave.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:42 AM

He looked just as shocked as everyone else when he tabled three cards. I honestly believe that he did not know he had three cards. He was a nice, genuine guy that was throwing around money after cashing in the ME, not a rounder trying to angleshoot.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading your post, and replies- I too would have done the same.

I want to keep loose players with cash at the table. Hope you were able to get some money from him in later hands.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to keep loose players with cash at the table. Hope you were able to get some money from him in later hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you want to keep him at the table so you can get his money. But you can get his money now. And it should be your money. Unless you have reason to believe he has a whole more where that came from, his money is mine.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:49 AM

If I honestly believed the guy had no idea he had 3 cards, I'd let him keep the $300 too. I'm just too nice of a guy. I'm not saying that he is "owed" it and obviously, by the rules, it is your pot. However, while I can't imagine making the mistake he did, I try to remember the lesson of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." And I know I'd be very grateful if the other guy let me have my $300 back in a situation like that.

Again, I don't know how you could play to the river and not know you had 3 cards, but if you thought he was honest, I'd have done the same.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:08 AM

I look at my cards one time, so I think it's possible to make this mistake if you see two and don't look again. Very nice of you to let him keep the $300. I would have done the same if I thought he was genuine. Hope you got it from him later [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]