View Poll Results: 3 WRs to start?
Darrell Jackson SEA @ KC 10 33.33%
Donte Stalworth PHI vs. JAC 4 13.33%
Javon Walker DEN vs. IND 7 23.33%
Bernard Berrian CHI vs. SF 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: supernova visual recognition

I don't know. These people are pretty dense. I think they would figure out that seeing the flop 60% of the time is unprofitable before they figured out it is better to avoid a pro.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:28 PM

henry - really disagree.
They are intimidated by full-timers and can also think that the pros are going to be on the good side of the Stars set-ups more often.

Their heads are totally in the clouds when it comes to their VPIP. They actually think they are the one who only plays the 'good hands' and that other players at the table really play some stupid and speculative stuff. Kind of incredible considering they are playing more than double the hands of anyone else at the table. But that's usually how it works.

Same goes for live-play which is why some people get all freaked-out when they find out that full-time 'props' are at their table.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:41 PM

The conspiracy theory argument is pretty good. I do think that they would believe the site is helping the SNs and for that reason alone the marking is a bad idea.

Maybe I am under estimating the fish. I really view them as being unable of thinking at all.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:57 PM

My friend in real-life has helped me understand a few things just based on the things he says about his sessions at Stars.

He's not a dumb dude. But he is a pretty lousy poker player who thinks he's okay.
I told him he needs to tighten-up and to raise-more preflop. Really basic advice. He's gone from 45/6 to about 35/8.
He doesn't believe in any of that Stars 'set-up' garbage though.

He has no awareness that he's sitting with 4 or 5 guys who are all in the 26/22 range. He's just trying to get enough points to make it to Gold status again.
Branding his opponents as 'full-timers' would definitely be something that would catch his attention.

I think many of the occasional players like him would say, "Holy crap...I had no idea I was playing with this many full-time Supernova top-notch players."

Whether the SN's really are top-notch players has nothing to do with it. Many many occasional/recreational players assume that they are.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think you are under estimating the "fish"..The "fish" would view a SN as a "pro" and would not want to be taken advantage of by a "pro"...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always. In fact a ton of fish (err, it's more of a weak tight thing I guess but bad players nonetheless) think that they'll fare better against pros because "I know what to put them on" or "they won't call me down with crap and hit" or "it's easy to bluff them." These are people who have the mentality that they play so well that the only way they can lose is when a "fish" sucks out on them, so naturally they should be able to kill games that are full of good players because they believe making a profit is as simple as not getting sucked out on.

My roommate and I would have this debate constantly, and he would always say he'd rather be at a table of mostly pros than a table of mostly fish because fish apparently have some magical suckout power that makes it -EV to play against them, and it's the pros who are predictable and easy to beat. right.....
Old 10-04-2007, 01:22 PM

point- bob

sn=great players (nobody ever said that), however they have to be at least break-even players (exception:"onlinepro"..hehe), or else would they be stupid enough to spend in order to keep that status and gain merely valuable fpp?!..so can't extract money out of them in the long-term...

i voted yes btw as i play limit a lot and am with the impression that its better driving people out early by scaring them with the sn status rather than drawing...i'd lean towards no difference though...

about avoiding sn, its quite difficult as well as i for one mt at almost all availbale tables in my specific limits hence if they want to play those they have to play me...

p.s. its funny enough that more sn voted in this poll than others...2+2 is truly the source
Old 10-04-2007, 01:43 PM

Good luck trying to find a HU game when you've got a SN logo.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:48 PM

I agree with Bob and the others who say this isn't a good idea.

I voted no.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:25 PM

I definitely agree with Bob. I also think that other good or mediocre players won't care at all. They already have PT and PA and a lot will also realize that just because someone is SN doesn't mean they aren't a poor player. The fish are most likely to be affected as they have no PT and no clue what other people are doing or that other players might actually be winners. They are also more likely to see a SN as a very good player or in cahoots with the site, depending on the fish. As Bob said they think they play good hands and everyone else is dumb. All they remember is you raising J9s utg and hitting a straight on the river to beat there K8o when they hit 2 pair.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:25 PM

Horrible idea - I emailed Scotty about this when they first mentioned it and he said it would be optional.