Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 04:20 PM

Default How should I play mid pockets?!?

Just started playing online poker for the first time and I’m having trouble transitioning from NL table play to low limit online play.

How is the best way to play pocket 10s?

In table play I’d raise pre-flop in hopes of getting players with an over card and crap kicker to fold, but no one seems to fold in low limit online poker under the same circumstances.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: How should I play mid pockets?!?

EP limb for set value
LP raise
Old 10-25-2007, 04:41 PM

So, is a mid pocket pair a weak hand in online LL poker?
Old 10-25-2007, 04:48 PM

6max I'm raising from any position in unopened pots. A few people will disagree with this line but it works for me. One raise behind me and I limp, c/f flop if I don't hit a 10, unless villain's range suggests he didn't hit either- then I'll usually raise if checked to me. Otherwise lay em down. If raised and raiser is known to me as loose and agressive, I'll consider a 3-bet PF, if I have position. This implies I need to carry my agression onto the flop though, which you need to be prepared to do.

FR is different and I'm nearly always limping in, except for as ally said from late position, where I'm raising if pot is unopened behind me. This is only for set value, if I don't hit i'm checking and folding.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:49 PM

Why would you want someone with just an over card and a crap kicker to fold if you don't give them proper odds?

TT, I'm usually raising and even reraising, it depends on the other players.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:59 PM

With 99-AA i raise from any position on a full ring. You have to believe TT is the best hand at a 10table so you raise it. I think with 9 other players, there is roughly a 20%chance that another player has a better hand i.e JJ-AA its still marginal fav over AK-AJ. I usually limp with 22-88 in most position it depends on that table - early on i might lay now 22-66. Saying that late position i will raise with any of them.

To answer your last paragraph. Think about your TT vs A rag long term. Roughly TT vs A9 below is a 70-30 dog. So if you have equal flop skills as your opponent. Long term you should have a positive EV over A9.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:52 PM

raise it up from any position, i think open limping is really bad. i would also re-raise most of the time especially at 6max, You probably have the best hand so you want to take control of the hand and you want to cbet the flop most of the time aswell
Old 10-25-2007, 06:06 PM

I'm going to assume you're only asking a preflop question. This is as universal raise. It is also usually a three bet if someone has raised in front of you. Open limping is horrible. You should even be raising unraised pots from the blind with TT.

Don't complain about people cold calling from overcards. You have a big equity advantage against them. You don't want them to fold preflop; you want them putting money in the pot at a disadvantage, like they do when you raise TT and they call. That's how we make money in limit.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 PM

I'm somewhat of a newb, but something I've noticed people haven't mentioned is stack size. I'm raising in an unopened pot almost all of the time and follow most of what has been said by others above on when/where, etc.

However, when I'm calling raises or 3betting a raiser it isn't only about my position relative to the raiser, but also the effective stack sizes. I like to make sure that I have implied odds for hitting a set(they have a healthy stack) or that the villian isn't just going to shove over me leaving me in a situation where I have to decide what to do (unhealthy stack).

So yeah, I'm not amazing at wording it, but make sure you are paying attention to the stack sizes of anybody in a pot ahead of you when you're wanting to set mine or play it as it stands.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:21 AM

grunch

if i'm the first 1 in i always raise with it from any position. if it has been kicked up by some 1 else i have no problem rerasing particulary in late position.at the 6 max tables u should b raising with any pkt pair iho.